Views
Helpful
Replies

failover in between two anchor controllers in two different data center

vinodjad1234
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Experts,

I want to achieve fail-over for anchor controllers which will be connected in two different data centers. One foreign -anchor controller set-up in one data center whereas other foreign-anchor controller is in other data center . lets say data center A and data center B

if data center A has lost the connectivity of Anchor controller in same data center , can it switchover to othe data center ie. B and vice versa ?

I came across some forum discussion that , we can load balance the traffic default in between two anchor controllers whereas , will it work as fail-over as well ?

lets say remote site is connecting to data center A and have central switching for the same . however if site looses the connectivity with data center A can remote client switch over to secondary data center and from there to data center B Anchor controller ?

do we need to have one subnet only for multiple anchor controllers ? in between two data center , how do i achieve ?

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Each foreign controller would have the guest SSID anchored to both anchor controllers. So WLC-A would have an anchor to ANCR-A and ANCR-B.  This would be the same setup for WLC-B. Traffic will load balance as you can't set a primary anchor so the foreign will decide which anchor to use.  Si you see how this can work in failover also.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply ...I understood that bydefault , both the Anchor controller load balance the traffic however if we want to get primary -secodnary scenario how do i proceed to stop load balancing and let one anchor work at a time and secondary when primary is down..

Do we have possibility to change the default behavoiur and manipulate the configuration ? such a way that , it will either one as primary and once primary is down , it will prefer to go to secondary

That feature is not currently available. It will be on a future release code in which you can choose a primary anchor and secondary, etc.  I don't know off hand what version, but it might be v8.1 or v8.2.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

This has been a thorn in my side. Also it more like a round robin and the foreign controller handles it .. 

Assume me you have 4 anchors and 6 guest users 

The foreign anchor will direct 

user 1 to anchor 1 

User 2 to anchor 2

User 3 to anchor 3

user 4 to anchor 4

user 5 to anchor 1

uset 6 to anchor 2 

Mia manual work around is to turn off the b side link and manual turn it on when you need it to fail over 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin