Views
Helpful
Replies

Feature request: Ability to turn WAP LED on/off based on a schedule

jl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Wondering if I've missed this in the configuration guide or if the functionality doesn't yet exist, but it would be exceptionally handy to have the ability to disable WAP LEDs on a schedule (e.g. between 8pm and 8am). Currently we have APs located in patient rooms, but due to the intensity of the LED it can be difficult to sleep with a single bright LED source on the roof.

If this feature doesn't exist, it would be handy to have the following abilities:

1. Control the status (on/off) and brightness (0-100%) based on a policy with a time schedule
  2. Ability to have multiple policies/schedules to suited different areas

If this functionality already exists, please let me know. Otherwise I might also contact our VAR to try get a feature request raised.

The use case is that with the LED turned off, this can raise tickets questioning if the AP is working or not by Staff/Patients, so if it would be nice to see them during the day, just not the night.

Regards,
Jason.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the model of the APs and the firmware loaded but the ability to turn the LED on/off is already available.  There is, however, no feature to "schedule" when the LED can be turned on/off.  

In newer WLC firmware, from 8.8.X.X, there is a feature adjust the LED brightness. 

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are using 9800

You can run a KRON job+EEM to schedule some CLI commands, you can either do it per AP or AP profile, commands to play with LED are in the below link

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-3/config-guide/b_wl_17_3_cg/m_led_states_for_access_points.html

If you want do it in AireOS, I think you can play with Cisco Prime Scheduled Configuration Task (I haven't tested) Commands to disable LED are as below

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-6/configuration-guide/b_cg76/b_cg76_chapter_01111100.pdf

As Leo highlighted please check whether your code supports this before implementing. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card