Views
Helpful
Replies

Find high usage clients on 9800

mempex
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have som vsat location there we need to find a block high data usage clients, because we have very low bandwidth. I have figured out how to block clients, but I am struggling to find the high data usage clients mac address. Is this possible on the wlc 9800? 

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check if these commands can help :
            show wireless stats client detail
            show tech wireless client
            show wireless client summary

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you for your reply, this information is properly since the client is connected? I whould like total data usage from ex last day or week. 

Prince.O
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

What i can suggest would be to enable application visibility on the 9800 for the specific SSID you are interested in and this will show you which applications are being accessed by users etc and hopefully that can help you filter out high usage clients. This option also gives you the ability to export the data externally if needed. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-1/deployment-guide/c9800-avc-deployment-guide-rel-17-1.pdf

Thank you for your reply, I have enabled application visibility and I am seeing that the services with hige data. But the graph is very limited and I am not able to see how much data each client have used. 

In the 9800 GUI , if you navigate to monitoring > Application visibility , you should be able to filter down to client and view application details. If you just enabled it , you may have to wait a bit for the data to populate.

What version of code are you running on your 9800 ? 

We are running 17.6.3. This is the information I get from the Application visibility

mempex_0-1679044531823.png

mempex_1-1679044820890.png

Rich R
VIP
VIP

The kind of data you are asking for needs a proper external MIS system which collects and presents that data.  There are Cisco and 3rd party products which can do that for you but it's not an inherent capability of the WLC itself.  The best you can get from the WLC is what Marce and Prince have advised already.

The other approach is to apply user bandwidth limits so that no user can exceed specific bandwidth limits because blocking MAC addresses is a losing game anyway - the user will just change MAC address and then you have to start all over.  You can also use AVC to apply QOS policies to certain types of traffic.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-9/config-guide/b_wl_17_9_cg/m_wireless_qos_cg_vewlc1_from_17_3_1_onwards.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card