Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall Protection Utilizing AP 1200

sundaysunday
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply. I'm trying to come up to speed with the AP 1200 WAP.

I have an AP 1200 connected directly to my DSL MODEM. I don't believe that my DSL MODEM is acting as a DHCP server.

I think that I'm right when I say that the AP 1200 is acting as a DHCP server as all of my wireless clients are getting IP addresses. Does the AP 1200 act like the NAT devices out there, or are we talking apples and oranges?

If the AP 1200 is acting as a DHCP server, can I set the address ranges utilized on the wirless side?

I'm looking for advice as to how to protect my wireless clients. I'm running McAfee. My wireless clients are running W2K. Wasn't sure if the outside world can see all of my clients or just the WAP with the IP supplied by the ISP.

Thanks.

john

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

The AP1200 does not / will not act as a firewall. The olny level of protection offered is in the form of authentication and encryption of the traffic to the wireless client.

Unless you specifically configured it, there is no DHCP server configured on the AP1200. It is possible, it can do it, but it a command line configuration (no web/gui, no default).

As far as protection, there are a number of ways (as always). You do not mention which (if any) authentication and / or encryption system you are using (i.e., WEP, WPA, 802.1x ...).

For maximum security, WPA with EAP-TLS is about as good as it gets ... but requires a RADIUS server and a certificate system. I get the impression that this would be a difficult system for you to implement.

Probably the best compromise between good security and ease-of-use would be WPA-PSK (PSK = "Pre Shared Key). With this system, you get very solid encruption, but it uses a "passphrase" as the seed to the key generation. To be very secure, you need to use a "hard to guess" passphrase ... if someone can figure out your passphrase, the system will not be secure.

WEP(40 and 128bit) has been cracked and requires only a little effort to break into your system. It will take a little time, but the "How To" has been published in many places around the Internet and somewhat automated ... minimal effort.

You can use an open system (no encryption, no authentication on the AP), then use a VPN system to actually gain access to your network (VPN could be an appliance, or a server -MS, Linux, or Unix-).

If you use an open system without the VPN, then anyone passing by could gain access to your network. Without a firewall (process or device) between them and your AP, your clients would be exposed.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. Let's me know where I have to go from here.

Cheers and God Bless,

john

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card