cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect andf Loccal APs on same WLC?

ritchie65
Level 1
Level 1

Can i configure both Flexconnect and Local APs on the same WLC?

WLCs available are 5508 and 5520.

Need to move some APs from an existing WLC (being decommisioned) and available licencing capacity is on WLCs currently configured for Local APs

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>....Can i configure both Flexconnect and Local APs on the same WLC?

Yes , you can.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Can the Flexconect and Local APs still use the same SSIDs already configured on the WLC?  As we have up to 3 SSIDs already configured and these are the same as what is already configured on the WLC to be decommisioned.

II'm struggling to find how we can do this

>....Can the Flexconect and Local APs still use the same SSIDs already configured on the WLC?  

- No Flexconnect needs a separate WLAN , review this document for guidelines : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/flexconnect.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Need to move some APs from an existing WLC (being decommisioned) and available licencing capacity is on WLCs currently configured for Local APs

Above statement is completely incorrect. Irrespective what mode the AP is (Flex, Local, Monitor, sniffer etc) license for the AP will be same. 

@ritchie65 wrote:

Can i configure both Flexconnect and Local APs on the same WLC?

You cannot have 2 roles assigned to one AP. In your case, best option would be to go with Flex mode. In Flex mode you can configure the AP to switch traffic differently.

1. Central Switching - Traffic will be tunneled back to the WLC via CAPWAP. Similar to how local mode AP's handle traffic, but since the AP is in Flex mode certain limitations may apply.
  2. Local Switching - Traffic is dropped directly to the upstream switch. Only management traffic from AP is tunneled back to the WLC.

So to answer your question, set the AP in Flex mode and configure your WLANs to switch the traffic as per your preference. 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

And to your question about same SSIDs - as the switching (local or central) is configured on the WLAN if you want to use the same SSID with some sites using local switching and some sites using central switching then you simply create 2 WLANs with the same SSID.  One of them is local switching and the other is central switching and assign to the site AP groups according to which they need to use.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card