Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting existing wireless solution working with Windows 7 client

ashflo999
Level 1
Level 1

A bit new to this so need some help

I have been asked to do some innovation around an existing operational wireless solution.

Setup is;

1. Wireless client - running Juniper Odyssey client. This authenticates user on logon to Windows using username / SecurID token / pin. Configuration via WAP / TKIP

2. Cisco Aironet Wireless Access Point

3. Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN controller

4. Cisco ACS v4.1 - configured as RADIUS server with connection to external RSA Authentication Manager 6.1

As part of a transformation programme I have been asked to investigate whether this existing wireless infrsatructure will work with Windows 7 as the client operating system. Also to look whether the wireless functions in Windows 7 will allow the Odyssey client to be removed.

I am unsure what client if any I need to install on the Windows 7 client in order to try and get this working. Do I need the VPN client from Cisco, the RSA EAP client or will Win 7 allow me to do this.

Any help appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Really depends on what EAP type you're going to be using.  the native client in Win7 should support, PEAP, EAP-TLS and EAP-Fast, stay away from LEAP.  ACS 4.1 should support all of these types, and be able to make the call to the RSA for client validation.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks for the prompt reply

So what you are saying is that if I find out the EAP type used in the existing solution I should be able to configure in Windows 7 without the need for any form of VPN client?

you are correct sir!

Now, if you want to run a third party supplicant you can.  You should also be able to create the profile via GPO and push it to the clients, for Win 7 and for most third parties as well.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Great thanks

I presume that by a third party supplement you mean something like the Cisco VPN client

Do you have any config info for doing this in Win 7?

I am still struggling with this concept of suplicants

I have tried to set this up with the wireless capabilities in Windows 7 to no avail. I see that Windows 7 only supports certin EAP types - how can I find out what my EAP type is on the ACS server?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card