Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Wlan - foreign maps

vikramrajni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am testing guest wlan with foreign map feature.

I am not able to assign the client an IP address from the subnet mapped under wlan > foreign map (WLC specific subnet)

The debugs on the anchor show a DHCP relay been sent from the interface mapped on the wlan and not the interface mapped under the foreign map.

I tried to map the wlan on anchor WLC to the management interface and have dhcp scopes locally on the WLC. Still same result, it is trying to obtain an IP address from the management subnet. This was based on the example in the link below

http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2011_08_01_archive.html

I am using WLC version 7.0.116.0 on foreign wlc and verson 7.2.110.0 on the anchor.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks

Vikram

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On the guest anchor, you have LAG enabled correct? If not, that can be the reason why dhcp is pulling from the management vlan and not the dynamic interfaces you have assigned. Also make sure you tag the vlans on the trunk port. If your not using LAG, then configure each switchport as a trunk port, tag each vlan (don't make the vlan of the dynamic interface native vlan) and only allow the vlan for that interface.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for replying.  I have lag enabled with mgmt interface tagged, other wlans are getting their IP address from their assigned dynamic interfaces. I would like to use foreign maps on the anchor controller for a guest lan and assign IP addresses from specific subnets to clients based on the foreign WLC they connect to. My problem now is clients are getting IP address from the interface mapped under wlan and not from the subnet mapped to the foreign WLC under foreign maps.

I understand. The foreign map should override the interface defined on the WLAN. I wanted to verify that you did have LAG enabled or not.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

vikramrajni
Level 1
Level 1

Issue was solved once I matched the controller versions. thanks

Vikramrajni,

Did you reboot both the foreign and anchor WLCs during your testing? I have the same issue, but the foreign and anchor are both running the same version (7.4.100.60). Is it possible that a reboot during the upgrade process is what got it working and not the upgrade itself? Did you reboot both controllers to see if that fixed the issue before performing the upgrade?

I don't want to reboot the controllers if that isn't going to fix the issue is why I am asking.

Thank you,

Mark

Hi Mark,

did you try "debug client on both Foreign WLC & Ancho's WLC to see what's happening in the current scenario ? That should give some clue what's going on at least.

You need to make sure mobility between foregin & anchor is up as well

Here is some reference post (done on 7.0.116.0 though)

http://mrncciew.com/2013/03/24/auto-anchor-foreign-mapping/

As a side note, you should upgrde your controller to 7.4.121.0 as current version you are running is having few critical bugs

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Rasikanayanajith,

Thanks for the reply. I just got off the phone with Cisco TAC and it looks like I am hitting bug CSCuh69558. I provided the config and debugs to TAC.

The bug has to do with having AAA Override configured on the WLAN Advanced tab and the RADIUS server not actually sending an interface attribute which is a common config in a BYOB WLAN controlled by ISE. The default interface configured on the WLAN is incorrectly used instead of the foreign map in this situation.

TAC also recommended upgrading away from the current version for the same reason you gave. I will be upgrading soon.

Thank you,

Mark

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card