Views
Helpful
Replies

Help about distance that Accesspoint support

atiyehmahdavi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I want to purchase WAP551 for another dormitory that has 50 user and support 50 meter,I think WAP551 is good for this goal(if not,please tell me and suggest another Product).

But I can't find any document about the distance that Accesspoint or it's Antennas support for this model(WAP551) or another product and Aironet Product too.

Please tell me,How much distance WAP551 and WAP371 can support when the situation is Normal and doesnt have more barrier.

I read all datasheet and many Article but there is no any thing about my problem in Cisco web site, if there is any link or document please past it for me.

I should answer my customer as soon as possible and give it to him.

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Clustering Improvement:

Clustering technology in access points is advanced intelligence that allows them to work together dynamically as a "configuration-aware group." This intelligence simplifies wireless networking. Your business can configure and manage a clustered wireless network as a single entity, and without having to configure (and reconfigure) the settings in each access point separately. Adding more access points—up to ten in total—is almost plug and play.

Using clustering access points can impact your bottom-line in five ways:

Saves the cost of a wireless controller. Clustering intelligence makes it easy to set up, configure, and manage multiple wireless access points, without the need to invest in a wireless controller unless your business requires more advanced wireless applications. A controller based on today's Wireless-N (802.11n) technology is a powerful management device and a significant expense.
Reduces operations costs by saving hours of (internal or outsourced) technical staff time. Setup requires configuring only one of the access points—it will push the configuration to all the clustered devices. Configure one, and you are done. The cluster also makes management very efficient. A single point of administration—a computer with a web connection—can manage all the access points in the cluster.
Increases security and reduces risk. The clustering technology in the Cisco AP541N Wireless Access Point can centralize and share Secure Set Identifiers (SSIDs), encryption settings, administrator passwords, access lists, and MAC address filters to provide robust security for the company data, customer records, and other business assets that users send and receive over your wireless network.
Increases productivity by improving roaming. Clustering allows mobile users to roam between the access points, with such a fast handover that their laptop or Wi-Fi phone does not disconnect. IP voice calls can continue without interruption when employees roam from one clustered access point to another.
Increases productivity by improving application performance. Clustering resolves squabbling between access points over wireless radio band channels. Standalone access points independently select their channel frequency, without coordinating with neighboring access points. The result is overlapping channels and congestion that cause radio signal interference and slower data transmissions. Clustering can help ensure that each access point checks the channels being used by its neighboring access points and adjusts its frequency appropriately. The clustering Cisco AP541N Wireless Access Point is also dual band: it can operate in either the 5-GHz or 2.4-GHz radio band, increasing the number of channels and bandwidth available for users' applications

Thanks and regards,

Manas Pratap Singh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi,

WAP 551 is End of Life now:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/500-series-wireless-express-access-points/end_of_life_c51-568039.html

Thanks and regards,

Manas Pratap Singh

Hi Dear,

1-so could you suggest me another model that I can replace it instead of wap551?
I want Accesspoint to support 50 users and 50 meters Distance for dormitory,could you help me?
2-I read wap 371 datasheet it is good too but have 1 problem:it can support up to 32 users and Number of access points supported per cluster is 8,what does cluster mean?
I can cover 32 users problem with purchase more Accesspoint (I mean 2 instead of 1 because I want to cover 50 users per AP)

3-but I think 8 cluster means that I can buy max 8 AP's,is it true?

thank you alot...

Hi,

Clustering Improvement:

Clustering technology in access points is advanced intelligence that allows them to work together dynamically as a "configuration-aware group." This intelligence simplifies wireless networking. Your business can configure and manage a clustered wireless network as a single entity, and without having to configure (and reconfigure) the settings in each access point separately. Adding more access points—up to ten in total—is almost plug and play.

Using clustering access points can impact your bottom-line in five ways:

Saves the cost of a wireless controller. Clustering intelligence makes it easy to set up, configure, and manage multiple wireless access points, without the need to invest in a wireless controller unless your business requires more advanced wireless applications. A controller based on today's Wireless-N (802.11n) technology is a powerful management device and a significant expense.
Reduces operations costs by saving hours of (internal or outsourced) technical staff time. Setup requires configuring only one of the access points—it will push the configuration to all the clustered devices. Configure one, and you are done. The cluster also makes management very efficient. A single point of administration—a computer with a web connection—can manage all the access points in the cluster.
Increases security and reduces risk. The clustering technology in the Cisco AP541N Wireless Access Point can centralize and share Secure Set Identifiers (SSIDs), encryption settings, administrator passwords, access lists, and MAC address filters to provide robust security for the company data, customer records, and other business assets that users send and receive over your wireless network.
Increases productivity by improving roaming. Clustering allows mobile users to roam between the access points, with such a fast handover that their laptop or Wi-Fi phone does not disconnect. IP voice calls can continue without interruption when employees roam from one clustered access point to another.
Increases productivity by improving application performance. Clustering resolves squabbling between access points over wireless radio band channels. Standalone access points independently select their channel frequency, without coordinating with neighboring access points. The result is overlapping channels and congestion that cause radio signal interference and slower data transmissions. Clustering can help ensure that each access point checks the channels being used by its neighboring access points and adjusts its frequency appropriately. The clustering Cisco AP541N Wireless Access Point is also dual band: it can operate in either the 5-GHz or 2.4-GHz radio band, increasing the number of channels and bandwidth available for users' applications

Thanks and regards,

Manas Pratap Singh

Link for setig cluster:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap121/administration/guide/WAP121_321_AG_en.pdf

These are small Business Access Points.

I would suggest AP 2602 , AP 1140 in you are planning to buy a new one but first contact your accounts team and probably they can help you more with the AP selection. Without knowing the wireless infrastructure it would be difficult for me to suggest you the AP model.

Thanks and regards,

Manas Pratap Singh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card