cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High Client Density

ryan.benner
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a design guide or a set of best practice recommendations for a unified wireless network that needs to support an extremely dense client popluation?  For example, how would you design for a conference hall with 1000 wireless users?

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ryan,

You are limited on your options. First 802.11g is not friendly only because you have 3 channels to select (1,6,11) from and it will be more of a challenge not to introduce channel interference. You will be better off on 802.11a where you have 20 plus channels.

1) Low power / directional antennas on 802.11a where you have 20+ channels

2) Pico cell

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00805e9a96.shtml#qa25

What type of deployment is this ?

I hope this at least wets the lips and gets you started ...

Please be so kind to rate post that are helpful...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

Thanks for the response.  Most of the clients will be 802.11n with a handfull of 802.11g (generally ipad/android/tablet devices).  I looked at the Pico cell documentation and it looks good except that it isn't supported by a standard supplicant and I won't be able to put a 3rd party supplicant on these devices.  Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

HI Again,

If you know your client mix will be 802.11n on the 5Ghz side then your next best option is to design with low power direction antennas. By this i mean, think of a flashlight in the ceiling pointing down into your coverage area. If you truly have this many clients, what will be their content ? General surfing, video, voice ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin