Views
Helpful
Replies

How can i change hostname for LAP via CLI

Rojer-bkk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

How can i change AP hostname for LAP via CLI?

I got the error 'command is disabled' when i try to use command 'capwap ap hostname <>'

I try to disconnect LAP from WLC, factory default, clear all private-configure and clear all files in nvram: but not working (still got error)

I cannot change via WLC GUI for CAP2602I series. I don't know why.

I checked bug CSCsy17745 but current in use software is fixed. 

WLC 5508 with 7.3.101.0

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would change the hostname from the cli of the WLC after the AP has joined. If the AP is new out of the box you should be able to change the hostname. It's a bit more of a challenge if the AP has joined a WLC already.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

This error message indicates that the static configuration command are locked out because either

• The command was entered while the LAP is registered to a controller
  • The LAP was previously registered to WLC, but the username/password was not changed from the default.

In order to re−enable the commands, you must have set the username and password while the LAP was joined to the previous controller.

When the LAP is registered to a controller, use this controller CLI command to set the AP’s username and password:

config ap username password

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would change the hostname from the cli of the WLC after the AP has joined. If the AP is new out of the box you should be able to change the hostname. It's a bit more of a challenge if the AP has joined a WLC already.

-Scott

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

This error message indicates that the static configuration command are locked out because either

• The command was entered while the LAP is registered to a controller
  • The LAP was previously registered to WLC, but the username/password was not changed from the default.

In order to re−enable the commands, you must have set the username and password while the LAP was joined to the previous controller.

When the LAP is registered to a controller, use this controller CLI command to set the AP’s username and password:

Ravi,

The OP wants to know how to change the hostname of the AP.  What you've posted isn't even remotely close.

Hello Leo Laohoo,

Please check the below link for the same problem and then give you valuable feedback

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_tech_note09186a00808e2d27.shtml

Hi Scott, Ravi,

Thank you very much for sharing

I have had no issues clearing the AP erasing nvram and deleting some if the files. I would even delete the images and upload only the rcv image and that would clear it also. You mentioned you already have done this, so I didn't mention it again.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card