Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I make a best effort guess for Access points at a new building

Jonnyballgame34
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I've got a building that is being converted from Manufacturing to Office Space.   I have a floor plan but they aren't springing for a survey.  The site is currently an empty shell, so I can't really attempt my own survey.  

Standards are more or less

-94 workstations, plus a large, and several small conference rooms

-Cisco 1702 is the standard

-7 SSID's

-Max users per AP should be about 20

-Users should be able to roam the floor without losing access. 

I'm looking for a tool, or any resources that might help me get a reasonable guess.  Going to attach the floor plan in case that helps with ideas. Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

B.Smeets
Level 1
Level 1

Do a paper site survey: place an AP near a corner and assume a circle with radius 9 meters as its coverage area. Then place the next AP in the same way, allowing for an overlap with the previous circle of about 3 meters. In this way, cover your whole floor. If there will be more than 20 users within a circle (like in a conference room), place the APs closer together.

Furhtermore, I would suggest that you cut down on the number of SSIDs. Ideally, there should be no more than 3 or so.

View solution in original post

tsawchuk
Level 1
Level 1

If you have a valid Cisco CCO account you should go to:

https://rftool.cisco.com

Once you complete the questions and draw out your walls you can get a good budgetary/predictive output for your project. Remember that this is strictly a predictive output, you will have to conduct a pre-deployment survey to verify the accuracy of the RF-Planner.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

B.Smeets
Level 1
Level 1

Do a paper site survey: place an AP near a corner and assume a circle with radius 9 meters as its coverage area. Then place the next AP in the same way, allowing for an overlap with the previous circle of about 3 meters. In this way, cover your whole floor. If there will be more than 20 users within a circle (like in a conference room), place the APs closer together.

Furhtermore, I would suggest that you cut down on the number of SSIDs. Ideally, there should be no more than 3 or so.

Thanks!

tsawchuk
Level 1
Level 1

If you have a valid Cisco CCO account you should go to:

https://rftool.cisco.com

Once you complete the questions and draw out your walls you can get a good budgetary/predictive output for your project. Remember that this is strictly a predictive output, you will have to conduct a pre-deployment survey to verify the accuracy of the RF-Planner.

Thanks

Jonnyballgame34
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card