Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I make a best effort guess for Access points at a new building

Jonnyballgame34
Beginner
Beginner

Greetings,

I've got a building that is being converted from Manufacturing to Office Space.   I have a floor plan but they aren't springing for a survey.  The site is currently an empty shell, so I can't really attempt my own survey.  

Standards are more or less

-94 workstations, plus a large, and several small conference rooms

-Cisco 1702 is the standard

-7 SSID's

-Max users per AP should be about 20

-Users should be able to roam the floor without losing access. 

I'm looking for a tool, or any resources that might help me get a reasonable guess.  Going to attach the floor plan in case that helps with ideas. Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

B.Smeets
Beginner
Beginner

Do a paper site survey: place an AP near a corner and assume a circle with radius 9 meters as its coverage area. Then place the next AP in the same way, allowing for an overlap with the previous circle of about 3 meters. In this way, cover your whole floor. If there will be more than 20 users within a circle (like in a conference room), place the APs closer together.

Furhtermore, I would suggest that you cut down on the number of SSIDs. Ideally, there should be no more than 3 or so.

View solution in original post

tsawchuk
Beginner
Beginner

If you have a valid Cisco CCO account you should go to:

https://rftool.cisco.com

Once you complete the questions and draw out your walls you can get a good budgetary/predictive output for your project. Remember that this is strictly a predictive output, you will have to conduct a pre-deployment survey to verify the accuracy of the RF-Planner.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

B.Smeets
Beginner
Beginner

Do a paper site survey: place an AP near a corner and assume a circle with radius 9 meters as its coverage area. Then place the next AP in the same way, allowing for an overlap with the previous circle of about 3 meters. In this way, cover your whole floor. If there will be more than 20 users within a circle (like in a conference room), place the APs closer together.

Furhtermore, I would suggest that you cut down on the number of SSIDs. Ideally, there should be no more than 3 or so.

Thanks!

tsawchuk
Beginner
Beginner

If you have a valid Cisco CCO account you should go to:

https://rftool.cisco.com

Once you complete the questions and draw out your walls you can get a good budgetary/predictive output for your project. Remember that this is strictly a predictive output, you will have to conduct a pre-deployment survey to verify the accuracy of the RF-Planner.

Thanks

Jonnyballgame34
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers