Views
Helpful
Replies

How is work Cisco C9800 with C9800-CL?

huseyin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

I need to learn; how is working Cisco C9800 (hardware) with C9800-CL (Cloud) together.

Normally; when I search; I can find any documentation for this section, but I can not find it. I try to install a scenario like this; hardware Controller and Cloud Controller work together. 

Has anyone tried it? When I open a case; I can not take any clear answer from TAC.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- This thread has a few example for configuring primary and secondary controller's for APs , either through the CLI or
   the GUI!
                                  https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/wlc-9800-ha-n-1-ap-not-falling-back-to-primary-wlc/td-p/4503133

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-:It depends on what you mean with : work with

The 9800-CL is a virtual machine based solution in contrast to having a physical 9800 model (box)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi Marce,

I know the C9800-Cl virtual base device. but they have the same version of software with C9800 (hardware models)

Are they working together?

Regards.

- All software versions are available for every model : 9800-CL and the physical boxes. If that is what you mean  by 'work with' ; if not ; please explain further,

M.

huseyin
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I got it. When I say working together; actually; I want to install HA infrastructure between C9800-CL and C9800 Hardware appliance. These softwares are same. I installed a virtual appliance near the physical appliance. They are working on the same cabinet. The virtual appliance works on the VMware ESXi host (a powerful server). the physical appliance is C9800-40. They have the same version of software.
Is that possible?

what HA you want to run SSO or N+1 
if SSO then you can not 
N+1 I will check 
MHM

Anyone high available scenario is OK.

- There is 'no anyone' in your case ; you can only use N+1  based redundancy (between different controller models)
    Ref : https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2020/pdf/R6BGArNQ/TECCRS-2001.pdf
    Start reading from Centralized Mode High Availability to get further insights , 

M.

Hi Marce 

Thanks a lot for your support. I am reading this doc.

Regards. 

Hi MHM

Do you share link for this doc? This is different files I guess.

Thanks for your support.

>....Is that possible?
   - For HA-SSO (transparent redundancy) , the controllers must be completely symmetrical in whatever format, so you can not make       HA-SSO (full redundancy) with a virtual and a physical controller
     If you have physical + virtual controller then you can only use N+1 redundancy mode's where the APs get assigned
     a primary and a secondary controller (for instance)

M.

Do you have any doc or link for N+1? Can you share with me?

Also, How do APs behave in the N+1 structure? For example; When the connection with the physical device is lost, will the APs automatically register to the virtual controller?

>...Do you have any doc or link for N+1? Can you share with me?
  - There is no  special (documentation) for N+1 , you just configure them as separate controllers. but you must
     keep their configurations synchronized. Then in AP menu's you specify primary and secondary controller.
                   If the primary goes down , the AP will connect to the secondary.

M.

- This thread has a few example for configuring primary and secondary controller's for APs , either through the CLI or
   the GUI!
                                  https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/wlc-9800-ha-n-1-ap-not-falling-back-to-primary-wlc/td-p/4503133

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card