Views
Helpful
Replies

How many Mobility express controllers

uosambela
Level 1
Level 1

HI to all,

I have to deploy a wireless mobility express olution with 9 Aps.

I would like to know if i configure all of them to act as controllers is a good choice. Or is it better if I configure only a couple of them?

I would like to know the pros and cons of each choice.

thank you very much

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Is it a good choice? Maybe. You're getting in to 'how long is a piece of string' territory and the answer will vary from one person to the next.

The only con I can see of having all of your APs being Controller Capable is cost, especially if you already have some older APs deployed as you'd have to rip them out and replace with x800 versions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

RichardAtkin
Level 3
Level 3
It's up to you. If you configure just a couple then you have some predictability about what will happen if a failure occurs. If you don't configure any secondary units, they'll auto-negotiate one amongst themselves anyway.

Details here;
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/Enterprise-Mobility-8-5-Design-Guide/Enterprise_Mobility_8-5_Deployment_Guide/chapter13.html#pgfId-1138350

ok Richard,

Maybe I was not clear enough.

In a deployment of 9 access points, is a good choice to be all of them Controller capable? I know that i'll have full high availability in this way, but what are the cons of this deployment? Perhaps the aps with wlc software can handle less clients than the ones that only has capwapp software?

thanks richard and sorry for my english

Is it a good choice? Maybe. You're getting in to 'how long is a piece of string' territory and the answer will vary from one person to the next.

The only con I can see of having all of your APs being Controller Capable is cost, especially if you already have some older APs deployed as you'd have to rip them out and replace with x800 versions.

thanks richard
that is what i wanted to hear.

thanks
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card