cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to calculate APs indoor including rooms?

mohammad saeed
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Engineers,

I am fresh with wireless tech., and I want to know how to calculate the suitable number of Acess points in my building. I want to know the equation.

Thanks.

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I want to know how to calculate the suitable number of Acess points in my building.

As a guide, and ONLY AS A GUIDE, you calculate 20 metres radius.

I am fresh with wireless tech

I strongly recommend you organize for a wireless site survey done.  Placements of AP and/or how many AP may sound easy but there are so many things that can go wrong.

If I want to use AP support 802.11n what is the recommend coverage area! and  Is there any way to calculate it by hand? and take all considerations in account ( number of rooms, kind of wall...and so on)

If I want to use AP support 802.11n

Your information is not complete.

Again, I'll have to reiterate my initial recommendation.  If you have NO IDEA about wireless, I would recommend you get someone to do a wireless site survey.  The risks of doing this wrong could mean that you could be purchasing the wrong AP, not enough AP, too much AP, the APs are installed incorrectly, the APs are installed in the wrong position.

Is there any way to calculate it by hand?

What do you mean "by hand"????

and take all considerations in account ( number of rooms, kind of wall...and so on)

Dude, you are not only giving us incomplete information but you are about to walk yourself into major pain. 

Sorry if I am not clear! I mean I have area = 13800 m2 and devide into 48 rooms and I want to use AP aironet Air-Cap 16021-e-k9. I want to know if there is a way to calculate the exact AP which I want to use it to cover this area. I know there is a program called Airmagnet but I want to caculate it manually if that possible.

Thanks

I mean I have area = 13800 m2 and devide into 48 rooms and I want to use AP aironet Air-Cap 16021-e-k9.

Hi Monammad,

And I believe you don't understand what I'm trying to impart.  The statement you've just made clearly demonstrate my warning in my last post about the need to get a professional wireless site survey done so you'll exactly know what model of AP you need.

Why do you need a 1602E?  Do you need CleanAir Express?

What is the composition of the walls?  Bricks?  Concrete?  Wood?   Glass?

How high is the ceiling?

How do you plan/propose to install the AP?

13,800 m2 ain't going to help me.  Post or attach the layout of the plan.

Is this a single floor or multiple floor?

What applications are you planning to use?  Voice?  Video?  Emails?  Web?

Where's your wireless LAN controller?

Describe your neighbor's wireless?  What are they operating on?  What bandwidth?

What country is this facility/building in?

How many people will be using wireless?

The layout is Concret, and the indoor walls are brick the hight of ceiling 4 m it's the first floor I want voice service it's a hotel and 48 rooms

You really need to get a wireless site survey performed or you are just making a guess which doesn't work well in the real world. Listen to what what Leo has posted and do get a site survey performed.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Guys! I downloaded Cisco WCS and I created a wireless heat map for the floor. And I knew how many AP I need. but I want to know about site survey after applying the APs. I want to know about the strength of signal after furniture in the floor and how can I solve this problem?.  I want to know about the best type of antenna for indoor area with multi rooms.

Sorry if I am not clear, I am new in wireless tech.

You can't determine this unless a site survey is performed. Using WCS or any other planner is an estimated guess. Usually for indoor you go with an AP with an internal antenna if they will be mounted on the ceiling. External antenna if you have to mount the AP on the wall.

The base of a solid wireless network is AP locations. This is only guaranteed when performing a site survey.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

mohammad saeed
Level 5
Level 5

Do you mean to make site survey by using a program like airmagnet or cisco spectrum? Before mount the AP

Thanks

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Mohammad,

You need to done a site survey for calculating the accruals amount of AP. Below are the links which will help you in this.

http://www.nle.com/literature/Airmagnet_BestPractices-for_wireless_site_design.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/vowlan/troubleshooting/8_Site_Survey_RF_Design_Valid.pdf

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card