cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to tell if client is channel bonding from WLC end?

GARY HAHN
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I'm reading that if the WLC client detail shows rates m7 - m15, then it must be a 40Mhz wide channel (bonded 20's). However, I'm seeing those rates on 2.4 clients as well, which would be impossible, since those are not bonded.   I'm looking at a 4402 running 7.0.240.0.

Is the 2.4 reading just buggy?  Different rules for 2.4 MCS?  Why doesn't Cisco simply show the Mbps like the client itself does rather than leaving us with this MCS mXX hieroglyph?

Thanks!

Gary

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So long as the rate is avaialber and the client has RSSI/SNR to support it, it can connect at that rate.  There are diffferent rates for 20 vs 40 wide, as well as the guard interval.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11n#Data_rates

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If it's bonded, it should say that the client is connected to "an" or "bn" under "Protocol".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card