cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Upgrade (legacy setup) 5508 wlc in HA

CSCO11395771
Level 1
Level 1

How to Upgrade 5508 wlc in HA (both the WLC with permanant AP license only, i.e, without HA license).

As per 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.pdf

Both the WLCs have a valid AP Count license
• The CLI should be used to configure one WLC as the Standby WLC (as mentioned in the
configuration section) provided it satisfies the requirement of minimum permanent license count.
This condition is only valid for the 5500 WLC, where a minimum of 50 AP Permanent licenses are
needed to be converted to Standby. There is no restriction for other WLCs such as the WiSM2, 7500,
and 8500.
• AP-count license information will be pushed from Active to Standby.
• In the event of a switchover, the new Active WLC will operate with the license count of the previous
   Active WLC and will start the 90-day countdown.
• The WLC configured as Secondary will not use its own installed license, and only the inherited
   license from the active will be utilized.
• After 90-days, it starts nagging messages. It will not disconnect connected APs.
• With the new WLC coming up, HA SKU at the time of paring will get the AP Count:
– If the new WLC has a higher AP count than the previous, the 90-day counter is reset.
– If the new WLC has a lower AP count than the previous, the 90-day counter is not reset.
– After switchover to a lower AP count, the WLC offset timer will continue and nagging messages 
   will be displayed after time expiry.

My query is:

How can we upgrade the WLC version in this scenatio (where both the WLC have only permanent

AP License and not the HA license), Is it the same as done with HA controller or some othe procedure?

Pls comment.

4 Replies 4

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

First of all the primary WLC needs to have enough AP licenses for all of your AP's. Besides that, the secondary WLC needs to have at least 50 AP licenses if you want to use it as the back-up WLC for HA SSO.

My advice is to upgrade both WLC's first to release 7.6.130, after that you can follow the instructions in the document you already referred to.

Thanks Freerk for the comments, 

But my query is, What would be the procedure for image upgradation after configuring HA between both the controllers (Primary-Secondary).

Will it be same as with the Primary-HA controller, or do i've to upgrade them individually and

re-configure HA again.

With HA SSO, you only have to update the primary WLC, the secondary will be automatically updated by the primary in the process.

Please rate useful posts :-)

Freerk is right. The document on AP SSO has the procedure for upgrading SSO deployments:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html#pgfId-43571

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card