cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing a 9800-CL in vmware

jmcgrady1
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed a 9800-CL instance in my VMWare environment. It boots correctly and i can login to it via VCentre console. The WLC says it has a single network interface - Vlan1. I have assigned a suitable IP to the interface. 'show int vlan1' says 'Vlan1 is up, line protocol is down'. Why might the interface be reporting as down?  From the vmware it appears to be up. Other VMs using this vlan are operational.

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The VLAN interfaces have to fulfill the following general conditions to be up/up:
1. VLAN exists and is in active status on the switch VLAN database.
2. VLAN interface exists and is not administratively down.
3. At least one L2 (access port or trunk) port exists and has a link up on this VLAN.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is vlan 1 the management vlan this controller will be on? If so, as long as you have interface vlan 1 defined and that you specified one of the controller interface with vlan 1, then things should be good. What you should also try to do shut both the gig interface down and the vlan 1 interface and then do a no shut. That is my workflow for getting the interface up and connected to the vswitch.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We would like to use a single interface for both management and AP connectivity.  The strange thing is that the 9800-CL is listing only one network interface - Vlan1.  Nothing else is there. There are no gig interfaces shown.

The default ova install would have three interfaces. So if you do not see any gigabit interfaces, then look at your network adapter in your settings. I use only one interface and the others are shut down. Only when I have SSO, would I use the other interface for redundancy. Maybe spin up another VM and see if the interfaces show up.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card