cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internal vs external antenna coverage

pascal2007
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few 1142N Aironets with internal antennas in place, and I am not thrilled by its coverage. I want to extend my wireless network because of a new building which led me to the following question;

Is there is any difference in wireless coverage when using external dipole antenna’s (the small ones, for example the AIR-ANT2524 for a new 2600 Aironet) versus the internal (dipole) antenna’s. I am aware you have more options when using external antenna’s, such as omni, directional, outdoor etc.

For an indoor office or warehouse deployment, where temperature is not a concern, why would I buy for example the 2600E with 4 dipole antenna’s over  the 2600i?

I have read most Aironet datasheets and their antenna options, but can’t find a word about the advantages of external dipole antennas. I would expect external antennas would give better coverage.. is this true?

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I wouldn't say that you get more coverage, you might get a little bit more, but not as much as you would probably like to see. Usually in high ceiling areas or temperature limiting areas it is best to use the external antennas. Overall, as long as you use the dipole and not a higher gain antenna, the coverage should be close. Going all external will push the cost up and thus is why many only use the external when it I needed.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: