Helpful
Replies

iPad problem with Lap1141n

timur.bessembe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Can someone help me?

I've a problem. Is it problem with iPads or LAP1141n?

WLC 4404 and many 1142 and 1141, so other devices laptops, iphones, androind phone works as well.

But iPad authorized, but can't get an ip address from dhcp server (dhcp not local on wlc, on windows machine) with coverage lap1141, but it get ip with coverage lap1142, and when i got it i roaming to lap1141 and it stays, if i off/on iPads can't get it again from lap1141.

14 Replies 14

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

iPads don't roam good in general and that is what is happening.  Doesn't matter what type of ap.  There should be a fix in the newer code when that comes out.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

But exactly they are working as well with lap1131, it was tested, then we've upgraded to lap1141.

I've tested standalone, it okey, but in lwapp isn't.

"newer code" it comes with what wlc's?

Do you have the 5ghz radio enabled on the 1142? Do you notice if the iPad is connected on the 5ghz and then when you roam to the 1141, the iPad doesn't roam to the 2.4ghz?

The newer 7.2 code is not supported on the 4400 WLC's. Only the 2504's and 5508's.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

We are using 2.4ghz(b/g/n) only.

Try the newer 7.0.223.0 firmware for the WLC.

timur.bessembe
Level 1
Level 1

I've turn off 802.11n (802.11n (2.4 GHz) High Throughput) mode on WLC and iPads now can get ip address from dhcp without problems. I have no idea why it happend, because iPads supports N mode and cannot work with LAP1142n/1141n with turn on mode N.

Do you have access to a sniffer? I would be interested in seeing the beacon and the probe request from your iPads..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

We've sniffed from iPad and from DHCP server and on both sides we haven't see resuests to and from.

A_sidorov
Level 1
Level 1

I had a such the problem. helped only one thing - disable on the interface Dot11Radio0 function WMM "no

dot11 qos mode"

Hi guys. It looks like a IPAD problem. We need to disable WMM on a WLAN if we want to use our IPAD.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2398063?start=0&tstart=0

Hope that helps!

I don't know about that. I have used my iPad for testing in most of my installs and never had any issues with connection with various encryption or authentication methods. I have WMM enabled also. Roaming has always been an issue with the iPads though but most can live with that.

-Scott

Hello Scott.

I think this is a very specific problem. In my customer environment IPAD 2 running IOS 4 , can work cleanly with lightweight AP ( 1141) only if WMM is disabled.

Also IPAD 2 can join AP if WMM is enabled. But IPAD need to think a lot, and the connection is really terrible.

I found a lot of posts in various forums, that other vendor AP's also does not work neatly if WMM is enabled.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is a good topic... Currently my clients have not complained yet or else they would have called me. Most of my install also include Apple TV's and AirPrint which they use iPads. Now I have an iPad1 and iPad3 that I have no issues with, but its good to know about WMM. Since I use my iPad a lot, I still have yet to have issues connecting to a WLAN with WMM enabled. Good to know though.

-Scott

Scott,

Did you tested the troughput with your Ipad1/Ipad3 ? Can you reach 802.11n speeds?

Also I will try to do a software upgrade for WLC (WLC 2504). Now it's running software version 7.0.220.0. I will upgrade to the latest version today( 7.2.111.3.)

I will let you know the results.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card