cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iPads and RADIUS

Eric Kemsley
Level 1
Level 1

Now that I have the RADIUS server and controller working (thanks to you guys ). My next question is how would iPads connect to the wireless? I know I can setup up a different SSID with a pre-shared key for them, but I really don't want anyone having a key to gain access to the network.

Would MAC addresses put in the controller do what I want?

Do I just setup Guest access so even though they get a local IP, the cannot use or get to network devices? But the issue with this is they couldn't connect to exchange.

TIA,

Eric

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If your doing 802.1x, I don't see any reason to also do Mac filtering. Mac filtering in general is a management nightmare because you would have to manage all the MAC address. As long as you setup your radius policies to your requirements, then that's all you really should need.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eric,

What do you actually want to do. I don't clearly understand? You have iPads that you want on the network which can use 802.1x for authentication but you don't want to do that but you want to use Mac filters?

-Scott

Sorry for not being clear. I want them to be able to access network services..ie exchange for email. I don't see how they would authenticate because there is no computer accout for the ipad.

Well you setup a policy to do PEAP which authenticates their AD credentials.

-Scott

I tried that using my AD logon information, but it won't connect. I used domain\username, just username without success.

I added the ipad MAC to AAA>TACACS>MACFiltering and it now takes my logon information.

Thanks

You must of had Mac filtering enabled then on the WLAN. You really don't need that enabled.

-Scott

I will look to see and turn it off and try again.

If your doing 802.1x, I don't see any reason to also do Mac filtering. Mac filtering in general is a management nightmare because you would have to manage all the MAC address. As long as you setup your radius policies to your requirements, then that's all you really should need.

-Scott

Hi Eric,

The other alternative, although it is a faff is to create and install a certificate on the iPads for authenticating as a computer account:

http://itstreaming.apple.com/podcasts/ipadinbusiness/deployment/iPad_WiFi.pdf

Cheers

Chris

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card