Views
Helpful
Replies

iPhone Roaming in Standby

Lhausklsg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

how can I get an iPhone to roam properly when in standby mode (dark screen)?
System: iPhone 6 on iOs 10 no sim card, WiFi enabled, not in Airplane mode, WLC 2504 on 8.2 with 2702 APs, WPA2 PSK FT

Symptom: When the iPhone (in standby mode) physically moves out of the range of the AP it is connected to and into the range of an other AP and then it is being waked it takes ages before it gets back the connection...

It does not seem to "roam" to the new AP since it did not notice the signal strength changes and did not trigger the roaming procedure...

Are there any tricks that make my iPhones roam even in standby mode?

Btw: I have the same problem with Samsung Galaxy phones - but these are my secondary problem only...

2 Replies 2

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

I don't know about the iphone but my Samsung is set to shut down the wireless as a power-saving measure - not really an issue, as it connects again fairly rapidly when out of screen saver mode.

Check power options in both if available.  'course now that I look for it, I cant find the option under Android - maybe it's the default behavior ?

Tausif Gaddi
Level 1
Level 1

Some iOS versions seem to have a problem with Wi-Fi, that disconnects every time the iphone is locked. This is due to the battery saving settings, that by default are set to "disconnect from Wi-Fi while on standby". Please try checking these settings.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card