cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IW6300 Max Distance

MATT SPONABLE
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we are planning to install several Catalyst IW6300 w/ Aironet Antenna AIR-ANT2547V-N and I was wondering what kind of distance the wifi signal will go to help get an idea of spacing. Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

ammahend
VIP
VIP

It will vary based on several factors like
Antenna Gain (Gt), transmit power of AP, Cable Loss, Operating frequency, Receiver sensitivity at remote end, assuming very flexible value like

Antenna Gain for your antenna at 5Ghz is 7dBi, Max transmit power of AP is 30dBm, Cable loss of 1dB, Operating frequency of 5805Mhz, Receive sensitivity of -75dBm, you are looking at about 1000 meter in open space theoretically. the range will vary based on any of these parameters.

use the calculator below to calculate for your use case, I would recommend you to be conservative and perform a site survey to validate your calculations.

https://www.rfwireless-world.com/calculators/Antenna-Range-Calculator.html#google_vignette

-hope this helps-

@ammahend your calculations are not good as Maximum TX Power should be reduced by the amount of antenna gain in order to keep maximum EIRP at 30 dBm.

So the maximum TX Power that the AP would be able to use is 23 dBm, after entering the proper antenna gain on every slot.

@ammahend wrote:

It will vary based on several factors like
Antenna Gain (Gt), transmit power of AP, Cable Loss, Operating frequency, Receiver sensitivity at remote end, assuming very flexible value like

Antenna Gain for your antenna at 5Ghz is 7dBi, Max transmit power of AP is 30dBm, Cable loss of 1dB, Operating frequency of 5805Mhz, Receive sensitivity of -75dBm, you are looking at about 1000 meter in open space theoretically. the range will vary based on any of these parameters.

use the calculator below to calculate for your use case, I would recommend you to be conservative and perform a site survey to validate your calculations.

https://www.rfwireless-world.com/calculators/Antenna-Range-Calculator.html#google_vignette

isn't it 36 per FCC? 30+7-1 (power,antenna gain,loss) ? 

-hope this helps-

Claes Karlsson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @MATT SPONABLE,

This does very much depends on the clients that are connected to the wifi. Do they have the power to send back from what they are receiving from the AP. What kind of environment are you planning for? Outdoor? Mining? Warehouse? 

I've done some warehouse planning with trucks driving around with a small laptop mounted on it. We deployed external antennas on the truck to gain some extra dB in transmitting power. The accesspoint can send pretty far with the external antenna, but the challenge would be the clients and their transmitting power.

Difficult to say in which distance you should place those APs based only on this information. But they would probably cover a pretty big area..

I would consider a comprehensive planning design phase, including AP on a stick survey and reading Cisco's design guides based on your business area (outdoor/mining/industrial/warehouse/etc..). It's really difficult to say this or that on a community, with no information about the actual environment or other stuff affecting the radio frequencies. 

Best way is always to be prepared with covering area (done by AP on a stick) and information about the clients (rx/tx dB). Then you have a decent radio environment and can fine tune the rest with radio settings, drivers on the client, etc.

Hope this helps something.

MATT SPONABLE
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your suggestions and quick response. This will be in a process facility so lots of metal obstructions. I think the majority of what will be connected is tablets, laptops, and cell phones. ammahend I will try to look further into the information you sent to see if I can fine tune it for our site.

Get a wireless site survey done. 

Any theoretical limit figure is based on the presumption the area does not have any attenuation around it, like a wide open field in the middle of a desert.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card