Views
Helpful
Replies

lightning arrestor

yanhui-wang
Level 1
Level 1

Hello group,

I have wireless bridge 350 and omni antenna--AIR-ANT24120( 2.4 GHz,12 dBi Omni Mast Mt. Antenna w/RP-TNC Connector).

I want to know:

1. How many low loss cables do I need between bridge and antenna for each bridge?(one or two)

2. How many lightning arrestor do I need for each Bridge?(one or two)

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You will need only one lightning arrestor per bridge. Make sure the grounding is done properly by an electrician. You can also ground the dual-coax cable between the power injector and the bridge. THere should be a grounding lug with the package.

LOw loss cables - you will need one per bridge. One end of the Low loss cable connect to the bridge (protected side) while the other end goes to the lightning arrestor. The antenna comes with a 3 foot cable (attached to the antenna) so you can connect the connector on the antenna to the non protected side of the lightning arrestor.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

"Lightning Arrestor" is a bad name for those things. "Static Drain" would actually be a better choice for a name.

Those things will not protect you from even a near hit....even Cisco says so.

If you are in an "environmentally active" area, consider putting a segment of fiber between the AP / antennas on the roof, and the rest of your network.

If you are in a dry area with wind / wind-driven particulate (like sand or snow), then the static drain / lightning arrestors will do a good job of dissipating the static charge that builds up in the wind .... if you are in an area with some relative frequency of thunderstorms, and your network is not isolated, you can lose everything ... "lightning arrestor" or not.

Just tossing in a couple cents worth ....

Scott

Scott is right, the so called - lightning arrestor is not even near a real lightning arrestor. All it does is ground the induced electrostatic charges. Using a fiber to isolate the lan network sounds like a great idea to me.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card