Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP Upgrade to v6 issue

tajennings
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently upgrade one of our WLC's from V4.2.207 to V6.0.188 which seemed to have gone well without problems, however, when my test AP connects to that wlc, it receives the new image fine from the controller, but when it reboots, it connects to another controller which has v4.2.207 and downgrades it's image. Once it reboots again, it connects to the test controller and the cycle continues. It has a SSC which I have allowed and there does not seem to be any clear reason why this is happening!! 

I have forced the primary controller on the AP to the test controller management address but the AP still manages to try connect to a different controller.

Any ideas on why this is happening??

In the log, I am getting quite a few "Received LWAPP packet with invalid sequence number", and the following messages:-

*Jan 21 18:47:41.037: %RRM-3-RRM_LOGMSG: rrmChanUtils.c:292 RRM LOG: Airewave Director: Could not find valid channel lists for 802.11bg

*Jan 21 18:47:40.864: %LWAPP-3-PAYLOAD_MISSING: spam_lrad.c:5754  Join request does not contain BOARD_DATA payload

I also noticed that when I uploaded the emergency boot image, v5.2.157, it uploads fine but  does not appear in the 'show sysinfo' but instead 'N/A'
Cheers,
- Trevor
7 Replies 7

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

funny im having the same issue in my lab ... i will try and work on it this weekend and share what i find ... Im on the same code revs as you in the lab as well ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the MAC address of the AP involved?  Does it start with "00" or not?

yes my aps start with 00 ... why you know something

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

There's a bug in the 6.0.188.0 LAPs with MAC address that DO NOT start with "00".  These LAPs refuse to join the WLC/WiSM.  

George, did you find out anything?

I have tried 2 AP's and they both have the same problem!  They also start with "00" for the MAC address. I tried downgrading to V6.0.182 but same problem!!  Cisco support seem to be stumped on this issue too.

Solved!!!!!!!   Turns out that I never added the CAPWAP UDP ports (5246,5247) in the access rules which prevented the test AP to join the upgraded controller.

Lesson learned, always read the documentation about new features

- Trevor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card