Views
Helpful
Replies

Max-associaiton command

joel.serrano1
Level 1
Level 1

Question,

We have Cisco AIR-AP1232AG-A-K9 access points. We recently set a specific SSID to a max-association 20 clients. My question is, what happens when the access point reaches it's 20 clients? Does it reject the 21 client trying to connect or does  it kick off a client to and lets the client connect?

The other questions i have is, since the only clients that are connecting are RF guns which connect through a telnet session and only transmit plaint text, could we connect more the 20 clients per access point?

Thanks,

Joel Serrano.

3 Replies 3

We recently set a specific SSID to a max-association 20 clients. 

What's the reason behind this restriction ? 

My question is, what happens when the access point reaches it's 20 clients? Does it reject the 21 client trying to connect or does  it kick off a client to and lets the client connect?

It should refuse the new connection, not dropping connected device.

The other questions i have is, since the only clients that are connecting are RF guns which connect through a telnet session and only transmit plaint text, could we connect more the 20 clients per access point?

If you have a requirement to associate more than 20 device, then I would modify that number to allow that. Typically AP radio can handle 100+ associations (check the datasheet for exact number)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you very much.

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Q. What is the maximum number of client associations that an access points can support?

A. The maximum number of client associations that the access points can support depends on these factors:

• The maximum number of client associations differs for lightweight and Autonmous IOS access points.

• There might be a limit per radio and an overall limit per AP.

• AP hardware (16-MB APs have a lower limit than the 32-MB and higher APs).

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1200-series/70278-lap-faq.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card