Helpful
Replies

Migrate APs from one controller to another

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6

Hello,

I have two lightweight APs working with 5508 WLC running:

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 7.2.110.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.1
Field Recovery Image Version..................... 6.0.182.0
Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.3, Env 1.6, USB console 1.27
Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

I need to migrate these two 1141n APs to virtual WLC running 7.5.

I know that  AP’s must be running 7.3 (15.2(2)JA) or later code to join a vWLC ; is there a simple way to update each LWAP to 7.3 or later other than updating the WLC 5508 to 7.4?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Florin, check out this guide here: http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-cli-commands/2011/2/20/wlc-predownload-the-image-to-the-access-points-from-the-cont.html

It takes ~2-4 minutes for a single AP to download backup image on my network.

You have the option of downloading to your APs singly by name or all at once from the controller cmd line, but I would HIGHLY recommend you do small batches.

Yes, in the GUI of the controller, go to Wireless and choose your AP. Then go to the High Availability tab. Here is where you can set what controllers it will fail over to. You then have to reset the AP to choose the first controller. You can also use templates on Prime to do this in large batches - highly recommended!

View solution in original post

Hi , Yes you can do it . You just have to configure the primary and secondary WLC name and ip on AP high availability section . Check this link to move AP. http://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/ap-failover/ Just configure these , AP will move automatically. Regards Don't forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Upload the firmware to the WLC of your choice. Do not reboot the WLC (yet). Go to Wireless > Access Points > Radios > Global Configuration and click "Download Primary". This means that the WLC is instructing the APs to pre-download their NEW IOS. While the WLC reboots to the new firmware, the AP will also reboot to the new firmware. This will save a lot of time.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the input.

So after uploading the image to the WLC and setting it as either Primary or Backup I go to AP and click Download Primary/Backup.

How much does it take for the AP to download the image? If the WLC never restart, will the AP get that new image?

What happens if I Reset AP after downloading the new "Primary Image"?

Finally, after having these APs updated "somehow", how can I instruct these two APs on the next reboot to join another WLC? Can I use High Availability tab and add the IP of the new WLC to the Primary Controller field?

Florin, check out this guide here: http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-cli-commands/2011/2/20/wlc-predownload-the-image-to-the-access-points-from-the-cont.html

It takes ~2-4 minutes for a single AP to download backup image on my network.

You have the option of downloading to your APs singly by name or all at once from the controller cmd line, but I would HIGHLY recommend you do small batches.

Yes, in the GUI of the controller, go to Wireless and choose your AP. Then go to the High Availability tab. Here is where you can set what controllers it will fail over to. You then have to reset the AP to choose the first controller. You can also use templates on Prime to do this in large batches - highly recommended!

Hi Yogi,

Nice link, I could fully understand "that feature". I am left with only one question:

- now these APs are connected to WLC1

- I need them to connect to WLC2, but I would rather not stop WLC1;

Is there a way to convince each AP that after a reset go JOIN WLC2, while WLC1 is still available in the network?

Hi , Yes you can do it . You just have to configure the primary and secondary WLC name and ip on AP high availability section . Check this link to move AP. http://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/ap-failover/ Just configure these , AP will move automatically. Regards Don't forget to rate helpful posts

Great article!

So I just configure as Primary Controller the WLC2 IP and then RESET the AP?

Bear in mind that WLC1 is in the same network as APs while WLC2 is couple hops away.

No.  Force the AP to move to the secondary WLC and then boot the primary controller.   This is one method.  

If you have two WLC and the 2nd WLC has no APs, then upgrade the firmware to both WLC but DO NOT yet boot the WLC.  Next, on the primary WLC, pre-download the image to the AP and reboot the 2nd WLC to the new firmware.  Once the 2nd WLC comes up, move the APs to the 2nd WLC.  Once all APs are all accounted for in the 2nd WLC, reboot the WLC.  Once the primary WLC recovers, move the APs back to the primary WLC.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card