Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating configuration from 5508 to 5520 WLC

Hello,

we are planning on migrating from WLC 5508 version 7.6.130 to WLC 5520 version 8.1 and wondering what the best way is.  I was thinking of upgrading our current 5508 to version 8.1 and then take a back up and restore the config on the new controller. But then i read some blogs which says you cant really back up from 5508 to 5520.  Is there a Cisco  documentation that I can follow to do the migration.

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would definitely put them in the same firmware version first.  Then the APs will also be running the same code, making rollback and easier option if needed.

Would it be feasible to put them into the same mobility group, put a new config on the 5520, and then just move batches of access points across at a time?

I guess another option would be to just configure the new 5520, use the same IP address as the old controller, and literally just swap them over.

Hi Philip,

The basic configuration is must on the new hardware 5520. However, to transfer the run-config from 5508/8510 to 5520/8540. There is an internal script for config converter.

Please open a TAC case and provide them the TFTP transfer of config backup. They will help you to convert the backup feasible for 5520 WLC.

Cheers,

Divya

Dear Sir ,

We need to do migration from WISM to WLC 5520, As I checked wlc 5520 last image support is 8.x and WISM is 7.x , in that case if we try to export the configuration from WISM and import it to WLC 5520 , so it will support ?

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cisco don't recommend to do in this way. But as per my experience you can do it, but make sure that you have same software version running on both Hardware.

My recommandation: Configure new WLC from scratch is the best way.

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

biaacer2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
1. Upgrade your 5508 to 8.1 (Read release notes first)
2. Back up your configuration. Use this tool to convert it:
https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessConfigConverter/ (choose 5508 to 5520)
3. Upload the converted configuration to your 5520.

Note: I wouldn't recommend 8.1, since it has already been deferred, 8.2.161 is the best choice as of today.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card