cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Anchor load-balnacing in 3 9800 WLC setup

rogic9
Level 1
Level 1

i have 3 9800 WLCs with mobility connections setup and working.  all WLCs can see the connected clients.

• 1x internal WLC which controls the APs
  • 2x WLCs in separate DMZs (different sites) that have 2 different DHCP scopes for the WLANrogic9_1-1726053325313.png

on the internal WLC i have set up both of the 2 DMZ WLCs in the Policy Profile Mobility anchors as a Primary/Secondary pair. 

rogic9_0-1726053279550.png

however only the Primary DMZ WLC is being used. even if it runs out of IPs in it's DHCP scope, the 2nd DMZ WLC IPs never get used.

can i set the Mobility anchors priority list to Primary/Primary pair for the 2 DMZ WLCs?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... even if it runs out of IPs in it's DHCP scope, 
  - I am quite sure that the mobility anchor load balancing can not be used in that context ; check
    https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/configuring_auto_anchor_mobility.html#auto-anchor-mobility
                         where a number of detailed restrictions are mentioned for load balancing

Appendix : -  Always have a checkup of any  9800 controller's configuration with the CLI command
       show tech wireless and feed the output from that into Wireless Config Analyzer
       use the full command as denoted in green , do not use a simple show tech as input for this procedure

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... even if it runs out of IPs in it's DHCP scope, 
  - I am quite sure that the mobility anchor load balancing can not be used in that context ; check
    https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/configuring_auto_anchor_mobility.html#auto-anchor-mobility
                         where a number of detailed restrictions are mentioned for load balancing

Appendix : -  Always have a checkup of any  9800 controller's configuration with the CLI command
       show tech wireless and feed the output from that into Wireless Config Analyzer
       use the full command as denoted in green , do not use a simple show tech as input for this procedure

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

rogic9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Marcel,
thanks for the feedback. i've had a read of the 'Cisco Wireless Controller Configuration Guide, Release 8.10' article you sent and it was really useful. even though the instructions are for 5500 WLCs some of the concepts are the same.
i had a look at the restrictions list and couldn't find anything that suggests i'm on the wrong track with my setup
and i wonder if perhaps i wasn't clear in my initial explanation that i'm just talking about a single WLAN but multiple DHCP scopes.

rogic9_0-1726141409145.png

it answers my question about whether it's possible to set up a load-balanced pair of Mobility Anchors...

...'The guest anchor priority feature provides a mechanism that gives "active/standby" load distribution amongst the anchor controllers. This is achieved by assigning a fixed priority to each anchor controller, by distributing the load to highest priority controller and in round-robin fashion if they have the same priority value.'...

i found another article about configuring WLAN anchors.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213912-configure-mobility-anchor-on-catalyst-98.html
which explains the setup of Foreign/Anchor Scenario Between 9800 WLCs. event though this is a simplistic version of my setup which has multiple anchors it explains how to set up the Anchors.

This article doesn't explain how to set up multiple anchor setups for the 9800 WLC as the article about the 5500 WLC does.  I'll mark the answer from marce1000 as correct solution as he referenced the article i needed, even though his assertion that the WLCs can't be used in this scenario appears to be incorrect.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card