Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express doubt

alexppg511
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have a doubt regarding Mobility express configuration.

Currently my partner has three 1832 APs, one of them configured as the Master AP with mobility express software running the 8.4.100 version.

I've bought two 2802 APs, one of them has the CAPWAP image and the other has the Mobility Express Software image. Right now I don't want to configure a redundancy with these APs, I just want them all to be subordinates of the 1832 master AP. So I have disabled the Mobility Express capacity on the AP with the Mobility Express software.

Now, I've been reading the documentation and one thing is not clear for me.

The documentation says that the APs that join the Mobility Express network must have the same version as the Master AP. So to achieve this I have to configure a TFTP server and then go to the Master AP GUI and configure the upgrade parameters with my tftp server. I already have the 8.4.100 image ready on my tftp server that I downloaded from cisco.com for the AP with mobility express image (currently it has 8.3.102.0).

My question would be, what image should I use for the AP that has a CAPWAP image?

Do I need to convert it to a mobility express image, or can it just function with its CAPWAP image?

I'll appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As per my knowledge:

My question would be, what image should I use for the AP that has a CAPWAP image?

Try to update to the latest one: ap3g3-k9w8-tar.153-3.JE.tar , or you can try to join this AP with the image you have in flash.

Do I need to convert it to a mobility express image, or can it just function with its CAPWAP image?

No you dont need to convert if you just want to use it as a normal AP. AP models that are supported only as subordinates require a CAPWAP-based lightweight AP software image.

If you want to use as fail-over controller(In case of failure of master one) then yes you need to run ME image on it.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks,

I ended up using the image the CAPWAP AP had and via tftp it updated its software with the Mobility express controller.

I had issues with the ME AP, it gave me an error while updating, it had a 8.3.102 image. So I read the documentation and first updated it to 8.3.112 and then to 8.4.100, and it worked.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card