Views
Helpful
Replies

move 1242 AP to 5508 controller

mike-brooks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We've got several 4402 controllers all at a different plant, all in one mobility group, all running ver 4.2.130.0 software.  I have several 1242 APs here at my plant, all connected to those 4402 controllers across our WAN.  Some of the APs are in HREAP mode, some aren't.

I have just installed the company's 1st 5508 controller at my location and have just upgraded it to 7.0.116.0 code.  I'd like to move one of my location's APs over to the new 5508 controller, but the AP doesn't seem interested in making the jump.  How can I help it make up its mind (force it) to move to the 5508?

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mike,

Just curious, did you set the new controller name as the "Primary Controller" on

the AP and then reset?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml#c4

Cheers!

Rob

Yes, I tried that before.  And, yes, there's a DNS entry that points to the 5508 controller.

I was wondering if it could have something to do with the AP going from LWAP on 4.2.130.0 code to CAPWAP on 7.0.116.0 code?  The AP seems determined to stay on one of the existing 4402 controllers ...

Normally, the AP move can be done using the primary, secondary etc. But is your AP fallback enabled. This wont work unless thats enabled. Go-->CONTOLLER (TAB) look towards bottom (enabled?)

Is the 5508 and 4400 in the same mobility group? Could be an issue between code versions why they wont jump

You could also try resetting the access poiint. Go in the wireless section, select AP and delete config to just see if that works

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

To answer George Stefanick's questions:

Yes, AP fallback is enabled on all the 4402s and my new 5508.

No, the 5508 is not in the same mobility group as all the 4402s.  There was concern that adding the 5508 to it might negatively impact the existing environment.

Here's what ended up working:

pull power from 1242 AP

disconnect the 1242 AP's network cable

power up 1242 AP

once boot finished, from the console issue the commands

clear lwapp private-config

lwapp ap controller ip address <5508 controller ip address>

then reconnect the 1242's network cable

Apparently I had to sever the connection to the existing mothership before the AP would consider moving from LWAP to CAPWAP and / or from one mobility group to another.

Thanks Rob, George for the suggestions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card