Views
Helpful
Replies

MSE \ RHEL problem

vark00001
Level 4
Level 4

Hello ,

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask the question but we are having a problem related to MSE product .

We are currently running software based MSE which at its base runs over RHEL 5 . But our corporate policy requires no RHEL based systems to be less then RHEL 6.

As i see in product documentation, MSE is currently supported only till RHEL 5 ,

What do we do ? if it comes to product replacement what is the roadmap ?

Thanks,

Varun

4 Replies 4

Scott McDermott
Level 5
Level 5

You will need to look into migrating to CMX. MSE is no longer being developed and will only see security fixes. You will eventually be forced to migrate because MSE is no longer supported in PI 3.2 or WLC 8.4.

Your other option may be to clasdify MSE as an appliance since the OS isn’t intended to be maintained by the end user. If you were runnng the hardware MSE it would be running the same software package.

Thanks Scott ,

In that case we need to think of migration .

Can someone point us to what is the road-map from MSE-->CMX . Is it just a software upgrade or do we need to have a new build ? if we build new then i guess there must be some export or something , not sure

Varun

Unfortunately, I believe the migration from MSE to CMX is a redeployment. You'll have to re-export your maps from PI. If you are using the MSE APIs, you may wish to investigate further. I suggest hitting the On-Demand Library - Cisco Live and checking out some of the MSE/CMX presentations to help make the best decisions. You could probably ask your VAR or local SE for advice, as well.

OK , then i start to worry on investment made in licenses . My boss will hate to hear about re-investment.

DO the licenses from MSE 8.0 that we have now carry over to CMX. Any otjer associated cost ? If yes , the i need to run for budgetry planning  

varun

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card