Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast client on flexconnect AP

MATS KARLSSON
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !

Is it possble for a client connected to a flexconnect AP to use multicast ?

How do I enable that ? Will it be enough to enable Multicast VLAN on the SSID ?

Apparently it do not work in default settings.

My controller has no connection to the vlan my customer use for there clients. It is a pure

flexconnect solution were WLC only handles management to the accesspoints.

Mats Karlsson

26 Replies 26

Hi,

Yes, it changes client vlan to vlan 199

Wired clients able to use printer using bonjour service on same vlan

Wireless client able to send multicast and all wired clients see it,  but multicasts from wired LAN are not coming to wireless lan. I tried ping multicast address (for example 224.0.0.251, 224.0.0.250 and others), every wired client in the same vlan see my ping, but not wireless.

BR, Ruslan

Stephen,

I enabled multicast routing on L3 switch for all vlans and it didn't help

BR, Ruslan

Try to enable broadcast forwarding on the WLC. Seems like others required that to get things to work.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

#remove vlan 199 and its subnet from wlc.

#take off AAA override and just map vlan 199 to that ssid. (I doubt, it could be breaking multicast)

#what datarates used/enabled on the AP radio where test client is connected.

Now have I done some testing in lab inviroment and got it working. With a multicast source ( VLC-video) three router hops away I have a L3 switch, C3750 conneted to several L2 switches. On on of them, C3560CG-8PC, I have both a wired client and an AP i flexconnet mode. Both the wired and teh wireless client get the streamed video.

The SSID i localy switched to vlan100. The multicast stream is only on vlan100. The WLC has no connection, no interface, to vlan100.

Vlan 700, used for managemet of WLC and AP do not have multicast enabled in L3 switch.

(In my real customer network the WLC is not in the same site and has no connetions to any customer LAN.)

The only parameter that seems to be necessary is the global parameters (in NCS)

Global Multicast mode - Enable

Ethernet Multicast Support - Unicast ( i guess that is what in WLC gui is called AP Multicast Mode - Unicast)

/mats

Hi,

#remove vlan 199 and its subnet from wlc.

#take off AAA override and just map vlan 199 to that ssid. (I doubt, it could be breaking multicast)

#what datarates used/enabled on the AP radio where test client is connected.

Datarates for this AP (and all others) till 11Mbps are set as mandatory, datarates till 54Mbps are supported

I'll take test AP and try to do that, then post result here.

I'm going to check if multicast will work in AP local mode then flexconnect, then flexconnect + local switching, then + aaa override

@Scott, already tried, with no luck

BR, Ruslan

Hi all,

After some test we founded that aaa override breaks multicast propogation path. We upgraded WLC to 7.4

Also  TAC case was created. So, if you have flexconnect AP with aaa override, multicast will not work

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.4/configuration/guides/flexconnect/config_flexconnect_chapter_01.html

it says that:

“Multicast on overridden interfaces is not supported”

Thank you all for help

BR, Ruslan

Saravanan,

I regards to "For flexconnect mode AP, AP to client Multicast traffic is unicasted over the air" are you saying that multicast traffic when received on the wire the AP will unicast the packet to wireless clients? This is not what I see in the packet captures

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I totally forgot that you were using AAA override. If you didn't use AAA override, does it even work or work well?

-Scott

without aaa override multicast work well.

Multicast is not supported only if you use flexconnect + aaa override

Thanks for the info. I just did think it would work well for some reason but if your tested it... Saves me time from having to lab it up:)

-Scott

By default multicast is disabled for overridden interface in local switching.
Please enable “config flexconnect group <groupName> multicast overridden-interface <enable/disable>”

Please be informed that after this command is enabled, the L2 multicast/broadcast will no longer be contained in L2 boundary on wireless side.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card