Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple AP Managers Question

Hi,

I've got a question concerning the configuration of multiple AP manager interfaces on -for example- a cisco WLC 2504. I've read the configuration guide but I'm not sure whether this is the way the protocol works. Say I want to distribute AP's (and traffic) across various AP Manager interfaces on the WLC. I would configure the following:

1. Create one management interface (which will automatically also be an AP-Manager interface)
  2. Configure 1 (or more) Seperate ap-manager interfaces, assign them to a port number, and select "Enable dynamic AP Management". VLAN ID's will be the same.
  3. Create a WLAN and configure it's interface to "management"

Is it correct if I state that the LWAPP protocol takes care of the discovery from the Access Point and sends information about the available AP-manager interfaces back to the AP and the AP knows which ap-manager interfaces are available, connecting to the least loaded one?

Thanks in advance for your time.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The AP manager communicates with the AP's using CAPWAP. The use for multiple AP managers to me doesn't make sense to do especially since its a 2504. I have always just used the management interface for AP management and assign a primary and backup port. You can do it the way you have stated, but what is the benefit. I have seen 5508's deployed using only one gigabit port and over 250 AP's and they had no problem.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your quick reply.

While the 2504 doesn't support usage of a LAG, using multiple AP-managers I would be able to connect the controller to 2 seperate switches for high availability in a scenario where I would tunnel all trafic back to the controller. Also, AP's would be divided between the AP-manager interfaces.

I assume you refer to the usage of H-REAP when talking about connecting 250 AP's over just 1 gb port?

No... I'm talking local ap's.  If you want to span the ap managers to different switches, that is fine, but you can make the primary port go to switch one and the backup to switch two.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: