cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple wireless providers.

Shawn Purdy
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that wants to have two wireless networks setup. One being our corporate wireless and another being a consumer based solution ( some type of DSL with a netgear type router). I've been against this solution because I do not know how what type of interference I may encounter. The corporate solution includes wireless voice, so I'm concerned that I will introduce interference by having AP's competing for airspace.

Should I be concerned or will things work out ok.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Having two separate different wireless system will cause you great pain.  So yes, I would not do that if I were you.  What I would do is get a WLC and separate the traffic that way.  Your internal traffic can stay internal and your guest traffic can go out your dsl connection.  It depends on your budget and hopefully you are looking at a WLC and not doing autonomous.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott. I do have a WLC at this location but I'm not familiar how to incorporate the DSL line. Is there any Cisco documentation regarding how to do that?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well are you using LAG or not?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Yes I have LAG enabled.

Well if your LAG enabled you would have to use ACL's on the switch to prevent the guest traffic from entering or seeing the internal network traffic. So what you would do is connect your DSL to a new VLAN and then create a new dynamic interface on the wireless LAN controller to point to that VLAN. Then you will have to create ACL's to again block the guest traffic from accessing any of your internal traffic

-Scott

Got it. I'll give it a try. It will probably be a couple of weeks. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Keep us posted.

-Scott

If I may add ...

One thing I like about using WLC in Guest access is limiting what they can/can't do and the bandwidth.

If your WLC can run 7.4.X then you can enable per SSID or per person bandwidth.  Another thing you can enable on 7.4.X is AVC which you can specify which traffic you want to block based on an SSID, such as Bittorrent or AOL chat, for example.

I doubt if you can have this kind of granularity in home-based solution.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card