Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need guidance for Cisco WLC Interface groups

I am looking to implement interface groups in our wireless environments. We are currently running into issues with exhausting our DHCP pools and are looking to establish a second interface on one interface. I have a few questions in regards to this feature, the guides have me a bit confused. 

If our environment is deployed with flex connect local switching in mind, is the feature possible? 

If not, are there any alternatives that can be used w/o requiring establishing a separate SSID ? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not possible.  For flexconnect, users traffic does not go to the WLC, it stay in the local switch. Theres no use to create interfaces or interfaces group on the WLC.

Also, on the Access Point flexconnect tab, you can map one SSID (WLAN) to one VLAN.   If you dont want to have larger nework and keep only one SSID, you need to balance the AP per VLAN. The image below is an example on how you can map wlan to vlan on the flexconnect AP.

You can point the WLAN id to a VLAN id. 

AP01:

vlan2wlan.JPG

AP02: (Use a different VLAN id here)

vlan2wlan.JPG

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

If you use flexconnect then you dont use interface group on the WLC. In  Flexconnect the Access Point work with trunk and you add vlans on the switch.  Then, on the flexconnect tab of the Access Point, you can map WLAN to VLAN.

If you are running out of DHCP scope in flexconnect, you need to add more vlan on the switch  or change the subnet mask is possible.

Hello, 

We are are looking to avoid expanding our DHCP as certain areas have reached /22 ranges. We are attempting to implement 2 VLAN interfaces onto one SSID utilizing interface group settings on the WLC. I am attempting to determine if our environment is configured in mind that the SSID is configured as flex-local-switching, is this possible ? I

Not possible.  For flexconnect, users traffic does not go to the WLC, it stay in the local switch. Theres no use to create interfaces or interfaces group on the WLC.

Also, on the Access Point flexconnect tab, you can map one SSID (WLAN) to one VLAN.   If you dont want to have larger nework and keep only one SSID, you need to balance the AP per VLAN. The image below is an example on how you can map wlan to vlan on the flexconnect AP.

You can point the WLAN id to a VLAN id. 

AP01:

vlan2wlan.JPG

AP02: (Use a different VLAN id here)

vlan2wlan.JPG

Thank you for the information. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card