Views
Helpful
Replies

New 1552E AP can't dicovered WLC 2504

randyinfante21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

Please help me regarding to my problem. I read all the comments regarding same issue. And i do same troubleshooting. 

Here are the scenario. We have existing 2504 with latest firware 8. and  cisco 1702i APs and its running. Now we're about to add new 1552E AP, we used power injector to power-up the new AP. We have a mgmt vlan99 to manage the WLC also the existing 1702. The WLC is connected to layer3 switch. and a layer2 switch going to APs. Now we configure the port of  layer 2 as access port which is switchport access vlan 99. Now the question is why the new 1552E can't discover the WLC even we try same configuration on the switch? We do also troubleshooting like, we add MAC address of 1552E in the AP policies. But the configuration guide regarding the switch config is. "Ensure that your switch is configured with untagged access ports for connecting your access points."? 

Please help

Regards

Randy

12 Replies 12

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi.

Did you do a debug on the AP itself (or just connect a console) to see what's going on? If yes could you paste it please?

Just for testing purpose (because I get something strange few weeks ago with new AP):

- Go on Security and AP-Policy tab.

- Check boxes of Accept SSC, MIC, LSC

- On Add AP to authorization List, add your AP MAC-address, choose MIC certificate and clic Add.

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this solved your issue

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi

No debug happening yet.. later i will paste the output of the AP itself(through console cable)

- I do add the MAC address of the AP to AP-policy tab.

- Only MIC check box  have a check. The other SSC and LSC are NO. 

- I already did and choose the MIC certificate.

Thanks

Ok

Then only debug from wlc with ap mac and ap console logs can maybe tell what's going on.

Thanks

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi

Here are the debug output when i try to use console cable to AP 1552E.

*Mar  1 00:43:19.967: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC. Either IP address is not assigned or assigned IP is wrong. Renewing DHCP IP.add

Cisco AIR-CAP1552E-A-K9-

I have little confuse, i thought AIR-CAP is a controller based meaning it can't type command "configuration terminal". But right now in this 1552e model it is possible. 

AP40a6.e877.e3fc(config)#int bvI 1

How did you configured the dhcp pool?

Thanks
Francesco

Hi

In vlan99 which is our mgmt vlan, we dont have a pool for vlan99 in our dhcp server. The pool is on the WLC controller. The port in our POE switch is configure on vlan99 subnet. 

WHy don't using the dhcp like other APs? The dhcp isn't on your wlc, right?

Thanks
Francesco

The dhcp is on the WLC. The pool of vlan99 is start from 99.201 up to 99.220 to provide 20 AP's.

Ok the issue is that AP seems to not getting any ip address. Could you configure a manual ip on the AP and set manually the wlc IP?

Thanks
Francesco

When you added the mac address into auth-list with MIC, did you restarted the Ap? Please do the test as soon as the AP is getting an IP to see if it's in mesh mode

Thanks
Francesco

Yes that's the main problem, maybe thats why it can't associate to the WLC. I been configure manual IP address on the AP but it the interface bvi1 is still down down. 

The WLC ip management is running it's not pssible to change the management IP of the WLC.

How do i restart the AP. ? 

Could you do a factory reset on AP:

Hold the reset button down with the AP powered on. Then unplug the power form the Ap while continuing to hold the button down. Then plug the power back in, still holding the reset button. The lights will flash on the AP. When it is blue, release the rest button.

or

hold the mode button for 10 seconds and at the time the device comes up, issue the command

clear capwap private-config

Thanks 

Thanks
Francesco
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card