Views
Helpful
Replies

Office Extend AP

IT Services
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon,

We are looking to deploy an Office Extend AP 600 on our current 5508 controller. I am looking at the configuration guides and deployment guides and both are having me configure a new WLAN and Remote LAN and new corresponding VLANs and Interfaces.

I would like to utilize the existing WLAN's and would like to configure a Remote LAN but use our existing VLAN not a new one. Is this possible or are these configurations just a recommendation?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jeremyrcarr
Level 1
Level 1

I dont know what version you are running, so I can't look up a different guide to double-check and this should be universal anyway.

So the reason the config guides are telling you to create a new WLAN is because the supported config settings for OEAP WLANs is quite specific, some settings are ignored, while others will make it so your clients can't connect to the SSID at home via their OEAP, even though they could connect at the office making for confused end users.

Look here and you will see the applicable settings; you have two choices, you can either change your current WLAN settings to be the supported configuration, or you can create a new OEAP specific WLAN.

As far as the Remote LAN is concerned, there is no reason why you can't create the Remote LAN and select the appropriate VLAN/Interface where those users should bind to; the guides are usually assuming you don't already have these things configured, and are guiding you through creating them net-new.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

~ Jeremy

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jeremyrcarr
Level 1
Level 1

I dont know what version you are running, so I can't look up a different guide to double-check and this should be universal anyway.

So the reason the config guides are telling you to create a new WLAN is because the supported config settings for OEAP WLANs is quite specific, some settings are ignored, while others will make it so your clients can't connect to the SSID at home via their OEAP, even though they could connect at the office making for confused end users.

Look here and you will see the applicable settings; you have two choices, you can either change your current WLAN settings to be the supported configuration, or you can create a new OEAP specific WLAN.

As far as the Remote LAN is concerned, there is no reason why you can't create the Remote LAN and select the appropriate VLAN/Interface where those users should bind to; the guides are usually assuming you don't already have these things configured, and are guiding you through creating them net-new.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

~ Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy,

Those were my thoughts exactly I just needed to hear it from someone else as well. Cisco TAC also comfirmed some of this information as well. Were in the testing phase so I guess ill just starting working with these and tweak as needed.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card