cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Old Aironet 640-2400 Wireless Bridges

fjuch
Level 1
Level 1

Well I have two old Aironet 640-2400 2.4 GHz Ethernet Multiport Wireless Bridges Part Number 200-001797-101B. The question is, can this stuff integrate in any way with the new 801.11b stuff? It is 2 Mb bandwidth, and works fine as a bridge pair. It does have an access_point setting. I have tried to get an Agere card to talk to it with no luck but how about a Cisco card with the proprietary extentions turned on? Or should I just dump it on Ebay as a slow bridge pair? This is personal equipment I have at home, no commercial use here.

6 Replies 6

maraso
Level 1
Level 1

Aironet's 640-2400 is not compatible with any of the norms 802.11x. They are TMA (Telxon Microcellular architecture), do not exist drivers to turn to compatible with 802.11b, because its design of HW is not compatible. In order to use them as Points Access would have to obtain to a PCMCIA model 690-2400, or one 655-2400 (board ISA).

Sorry for the bad news.

Best Regards,

Marcos

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

I also have one (yes, one - which means I can't even create a low-speed link).

The only thinh I can use it for is as a 2.4GHz noise generator because the channelization is different.

jhelm
Level 1
Level 1

We see many end users in various markets that have the old TMA networks installed, most of which we are replacing with 802.11b. Your devices are compatible with other access points of similar design, I've had a 630 that was used in conjunction with a 690 pc card which provide home networking for many years prior to higher speed wireless. You would likely do best to sell them as a low speed ethernet bridge, afterall it would still be cheaper than an end user leasing a T1 or other dedicated TELCO link.

paul.thomsen
Level 1
Level 1

I missed one of my 640 in a thunderstorm some days ago - if any of you have one or more for sale I will be happy.

C51 is dead - does anybody know the value so I can try to replace, but of course I should be lucky if this is the only component burned.

I can't vouch for the firmware being current, but I would sell my 640-2400.

Matthew Wheeler

gverr
Level 1
Level 1

It won't work!

These units were earlier to 802.11standard. They used a proprietary radio protocol (TMA) on their radio's. These radio's cannot be upgraded to 802.11protocol.

As such, only radio units supporting the same TMA protocol can "register" with your access point or bridges. Your RF network has to be "homogenous".

You'll have to "dump your devices on Ebay" and replace these with 802.11 units (AP's and client radios) if you want to combine radios from different vendors or simply work in 802.11 with units from the same vendor (security,...).

Guy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card