Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Option43 and EffiecientIP

Greetings,

We moved over to EfficientIP and I'm having a time trying to get option43 working. with Windows DHCP it was creating a hex option, but hex or binary is not an option is EfficentIP.

I'm hoping someone here has had to set it up and knows the correct formatting.

We are demoing a 9800, and some 9166APs, but they can not be primed via console. The controller is on a vlan without DHCP, so putting the AP on the vlan won't help without it getting an IP. I also changed the cisco-capwap-controller dns record and not getting anything.

I really don't want to re-IP the controller just to get the direct connection.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So, I got a response from eIP and how to correctly set the value. I'll lay it out below for anyone in the future.

Now, since option 43 could be used for other stuff, you could need to make ACLs to call it instead, but i'll show just setting it on a scope.

So, on my test scope, the default option 43 is set for IP, my test controller is 10.10.2.224 so if I set that it's converted to binary and sent incorrectly. The missed part that was unknown from eIP is you need to do \x before each set of hex characters. This is really not documented in their admin guide and I had to open a support ticket to get the answer. Hopefully this helps some of you in the future.

So, by my IP of 10.10.2.224, the Cisco hex is F1040A0A02EO, but for eIP, you need to enter \xf1\x04\x0a\x0a\x02\xe0

eIP options.jpg

Once you do that, the option will be passed in hex as seen in the pcap below.

eIP pcap.jpg

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not that many people used here i guess, what option you have in efficientip  ? what is the help guide says ?

i have looked at their documentation not much information provided, so if you are product owner should ask their support.

Once you find solution, kindly share with community here to their community to help.

Infoblox use same acsii.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can always use broadcast.... configure the ip helper for the subnet the ap is on to point to the controller ip.  That is what I have done in the past and works great.  You can add that ip helper even though you already have an ip helper configured.  You will need to also configure ip forward protocol.  DNS should also work if the DHCP address the ap gets points to the dns server with the record.

https://mrncciew.com/2013/05/04/wlc-discovery-via-broadcast/

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So, I got a response from eIP and how to correctly set the value. I'll lay it out below for anyone in the future.

Now, since option 43 could be used for other stuff, you could need to make ACLs to call it instead, but i'll show just setting it on a scope.

So, on my test scope, the default option 43 is set for IP, my test controller is 10.10.2.224 so if I set that it's converted to binary and sent incorrectly. The missed part that was unknown from eIP is you need to do \x before each set of hex characters. This is really not documented in their admin guide and I had to open a support ticket to get the answer. Hopefully this helps some of you in the future.

So, by my IP of 10.10.2.224, the Cisco hex is F1040A0A02EO, but for eIP, you need to enter \xf1\x04\x0a\x0a\x02\xe0

eIP options.jpg

Once you do that, the option will be passed in hex as seen in the pcap below.

eIP pcap.jpg

Thanks a lot friend for update us

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card