Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping on Ap -Manager interface

m.arienti
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

during the configuration of a Wlc 4402 with firmware 7.0.98.0 i see that is possibly to ping the Ap-manager interface of my WLC.

With the previous firmware I saw, and I read that is correct on Cisco documentation that is not possible to ping the Ap-Manager interface, is a problem about configuration or is a new features of the new firmware?

Thanks

Marco

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ndr_eds
Level 1
Level 1

The AP-Manager interface will not respond to ICMP echo requests in all releases prior to 6.0.202. I have WiSM's and WLC's on 4.0, 5.2, and up to 6.0.199.4 that will not answer pings. My controllers that are on 6.0.202 and up will answer pings. I do not know why Cisco decided to change this at that realease.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pinging the ap-manager might or might not work depending on complex conditions. It has always been in all firmwares.

Anyway there is little point in doing so since you cannot rely on the result :-)

Nicolas

ndr_eds
Level 1
Level 1

The AP-Manager interface will not respond to ICMP echo requests in all releases prior to 6.0.202. I have WiSM's and WLC's on 4.0, 5.2, and up to 6.0.199.4 that will not answer pings. My controllers that are on 6.0.202 and up will answer pings. I do not know why Cisco decided to change this at that realease.

Well I never knew that you could ping the ap manager. Like you said it might of been allowed in the older code but not on the newer code. It's more important to know you can ping the management ip though and not really the ap manager.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Just the opposite: not allowed in older code but allowed in newer code. You are correct, the manageent interface is what you would normally ping anyway.

AP-Manager is pingable in 7.0 because it shares same mac address as management interface.

"

Note

With the 7.0 release onwards, the MAC address of the management interface and the AP-manager interface is the same as the base LAG MAC address."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mint.html#wp1117168

This is why it may respond. management interface is still the only consistently pingable in-band interface though.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card