cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Planned AP association feature in WCS 7.0.164.0

John Cook
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone used the "Planned AP association" feature in WCS 7 planning mode?  I haven't been able to find any documentation on it, but I was hoping that it allowed you to map your planning AP's and locations to freshly deployed AP's and place them on the floorplan when doing a synchronize, but I can't get it to complete successfully.  Just wondering if anyone else had tried to figure out what this feature does and if it works.

Thanks - John

3 Replies 3

Federico Lovison
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

What is the exact error you get?

What is the AP MAC address you specified in the AP association?

==> Please use the base *RADIO* MAC, and not the ethernet MAC.

I just tested it and I can confirm that the tool succeeds to create the mapping both if you specify the eth or radio MAC, however, the sync only succeeds if you specify the radio MAC.

Please confirm if this is also your problem; I'm going to file a documentation bug to get this properly documented.

Thank you.

Regards,

Federico

--
If this answers your question please mark the question as "answered" and rate it, so other users can easily find it.

I filed doc bug CSCtk94153 for this.

Thanks,

Federico

--
If this answers your question please mark the question as "answered" and rate it, so other users can easily find it.

nathan.turnbull
Level 1
Level 1

I still couldn't find much information on this feature 1.5 years later. I also had issues with uploading the CSV containing the Association data. When I created the CSV file myself, WCS kept reporting that the "File seems to be empty or not well formated. There should be a new line character at the end of each line." When I generated the CSV file in Excel 2003, I received the error "CSV Import: 'import.csv' has an unsupported Mime Type\b\bCSV Import: Supported file format mime types are\b\b[application/vnd.ms-excel, text/csv, text/plain]\n\nNote:\n' application/vnd.ms-excel' should be of CSV format and not a spreadsheet".

The issue with the manually created CSV was that I didn't have colons between every 2 characters of the MAC address. I wasn't able to determine the issue with the CSV created in Excel 2003, the output of "cat -A filename.csv" appeared to be the same for the excel generated CSV and the manually created one.

These are my tips if you're having problems:

• You must be logged into WCS as root to see the Planned AP Association link in Planning Mode.
  • Create the CSV manually (or figure out the problem wtih using Excel and post/link a solution here)
  • Use the following headers in your CSV: Campus,Building,Floor,APName,MacAddress
  • Make sure you are using the correct names for Campus, Building, Floor, AP name and that your MAC address is formatted with colons separating every 2 characters

From what I observed, you should be able to upload 1 CSV file that contains all the AP associations to the APs on all your planning maps.

I also noticed that there is a 15 character limit in the AP Name field of the Planning Mode feature (WCS 7.0.172). This was unfortunate because I would like to have been able to name the APs with our preferred (and probably too long) naming standard before they physically registered with the WLC or WCS.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card