cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Planning a new outdoor wireless mesh

mpctxc2011
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new project to create an outdoor wifi mesh to connect several buildings that cannot be connected via fiber.  This is for an industrial area where there are a lot of power lines, thick concrete and metal structures, etc.  The distances from the main building to the others ranges from 200ft to 1900ft.  We have a WLC 5508, that is managing our indoor wireless, that should be able to manage the outdoor AP's too.

My problem is that I have not been able to confirm the real world ranges of the Cisco outdoor AP's when combined with the various antennas.  I would like the main bldg to have an omni-directional antenna, but it will need to be able to reach the distant 1900ft building.  And some of the remote buildings do not have a clear line of sight to the main building and may need to daisy chain off of other buildings.  I'm assuming this means that some of the remote buildings will need omnidirectional antennas too, to serve as relays for the farther out buildings.

Any help with picking the part numbers for the AP's and antennas would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look at the 1570's, but you should look at using a true bridge if you plan on pushing a good amount of data. BridgeWave, Proxim and or Exalt are good brands. I have customers that use Uniquiti bridges because they are cheap and does a good job. 

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look at the 1570's, but you should look at using a true bridge if you plan on pushing a good amount of data. BridgeWave, Proxim and or Exalt are good brands. I have customers that use Uniquiti bridges because they are cheap and does a good job. 

-Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card