cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime 1.3 MAC Filter csv Format Question

Nicholas Hood
Level 1
Level 1

We have about 100 devices that need to be added to our mac filter. Before now, we just did one or two at a time. This is the first time we have such a bulk order to do at once.

I was taking a look at the sample .csv format and had a question before I started messing around with this.

1. Looking at the mac filter page where the other filters are we use the mac address as the Template Name. When looking at the sample csv format it calls for "Mac, Profile Name, Interface, Description". Is there a field I can add to use the mac address as the template name? I do not want to have to go back through all 100 and add the name in.

2. If under Interface, the choice will be none, do I just leave that blank or do I have to enter a value there? We currently are not applying an interface to these devices.

We are on Prime Infrastructure 1.3

Thanks for the help!

-Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Okay... I thought you want the same template name for a group of mac address.  By default the mac address is the template name, so I guess that works for you.  Thanks for supporting the rating system and good luck with the templates!

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The profile name takes precedence over the interface value. Take a look at this thread.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2182372

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the response. I read up on that thread but it appears this person is having a different issue than I am. My mac filters work, I just want to import a .csv to add over 100 devices at once. I am not sure of the format of the .csv since i have a field that will have a value that is not on the given .csv template and also a value that will be blank on the given sample .csv template in the Mac Filter Template add settings.

I do not want to enter these all individually and want to take advantage of the .csv import.

Such as, is this an acceptable format for what I want to do?

Mac Addresses           Profile Name         Interface              Description                Template Name

00:22:44:66:67:77       example-profile                            example-201-Proj1        Usemacaddress01

00:44:44:44:44:44       example-profile                            example-202-Proj1        Usemacaddress02

00:56:44:44:44:44       example-profile                            example-203-Proj1        Usemacaddress03

00:88:00:22:93:EF       example-profile                           example-207-Proj1        Usemacaddress04

Notice that "Interface" is blank, no selection and have added Template Name, so I can name my template.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is what the config guide shows:

If you keep Import From File enabled, you must enter a file path or click Browse to navigate to the file path. The import file must be a CSV file with MAC address, profile name, interface, and description (such as 00:11:22:33:44:55, Profile1, management, test filter).

-Scott

Indeed, I completely understand that part. My question is can a field be added that isn't there already, such as Template name? And if under my Interface, I do not want it on any interface, therefore there would be nothing to enter in this field, is that acceptable or does it expect some value to be there.

I am asking and not messing around with this because I have 200+ templates in my Mac filters and do not want to risk anything messing the others up.

I figured someone had ran across this scenireo before.

I just tested this out.... here is my csv:

00:22:44:66:67:77,,,Usemacaddress01

00:44:44:44:44:44,,,Usemacaddress02

00:56:44:44:44:44,,,Usemacaddress03

00:88:00:22:93:EF,,,Usemacaddress04

This is what came out on the WLC:

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Excellent, that answers the question about leaving the interface blank. What about the Template Name field? It is not listed in the example .csv as a field, so can it be added, or will this be something that I will just have to go back and edit later?

On your image, on the left of the MAC addresses column, do you have a Template name field? If so, that is the one I am trying to populate as it is not listed in the sample on Prime, or the guide.

Thanks!!

-Nick

There was no template name field. There is two ways of doing this. You can do it the old school way of using the Classic view and you will be able to create a template and name it. If you use the life cycle view, you don't have a template name.

-Scott

I am using the Classic View to do this. So I can include template name in the csv?

Perhaps I will take a look at the life cycle area and see what i can see there.

It's just our standard to name templates by mac address. Trying to not deviate from this. The bulk admin (csv format) is new to me on this system.

Just try both the life cycle and the classic view and see which works better. I typically just use an excel file with the commands and that way I can either add or remove a MAC address from the list. You might like the template base better though:)

-Scott

As you can see, it didn't override my other mac filters since you have the option to if you want.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I typically create commands on a spreadsheet and paste it in all the WLCs. It's easy:)

-Scott

This is what my mac filter interface looks like.

Is that what you want?

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card