Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 2.0 and add a WLC device

alex.roth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One question regarding to add a device / WLC Controller  into NCS 2.0. I done this in the past with NCS 1.3 without problems

but now I don´t know why but if I add a device into the NCS 2.0  I get the the message CLI Failure /  timeout.

I doublechecked all on the controller but I don´t see any failure . For my understanding I have to add a user under"Local Managmeent User " and then add this credentials into  the Telnet/SSH Parameters on the NCS 2.0 .

Thanks for help.

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you entering the SNMP v2 string in read write?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

I added SNMP v3 credentials with passwords.

Cheers

Well the default encryption on the WLC's are different from the PI 2.0 default.  Make sure that matches and when you created the SNMPv3, make sure you reboot the WLC as that is required.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Hi Scott,

WLC reboot is NOT required when configuring SNMPv3, it was a documentation error in the config guide. See below

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2214836

Alex:

Here is an WLC CLI method to config a SNMPv3 users (example used admin & Cisco123Cisco123). Try in this way & see (you should be able to correct it using GUI as well, but this is easy via CLI)

(WLC) >config snmp v3user create admin rw hmacsha aescfb128 Cisco123Cisco123 Cisco123Cisco123

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses *****

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well when I changed the password, it didn't work until I rebooted. Also it warns you that you need to reboot. So who knows:)

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Upto 7.3 config guide it was documented we have to reboot WLC when we configuring SNMP v3 which is wrong. (here is 7.3 config guide link for reference). May be older version (prior to 7.0) had that requirement, not too sure about it

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.3/configuration/guide/b_wlc-cg_chapter_0100.html#d16741e4514a1635

From 7.4 onwards config guide does not talk about it all. I deleted the default SNMPv3 user & create a new user in 7.4 & add it to prime without rebooting WLC.

Once you configureed a SNMPv3 user on a WLC, I do no think you can edit/change the password. You have to delete the user & recreate it with modified username/password.Then re-add the WLC to prime

The behaviour you mentioned is with any of later codes  of WLC ?

Rasika

I will test it again. I'm running v7.6

-Scott

alex.roth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Sorry for my late response. I fixed the problem as I inserted a snmp 2 string into the PI 2 and also I created on our

tacacs server a special user for CLI access to use this   together with PI 2.0 for device management.

Cheers

Kuat Bakenov
Level 1
Level 1

+

my ERORR:

"CLI Failure: A timeout occurred when trying to communicate with the device."

i use snmp v3.

but need check connect via ssh other client.

(added admin user to wlc, but ssh not work.) i used default installation username ......

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card