cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper FlexConnect Configuration - Redundancy

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

I was hoping to experiment with this, but hard to in this specific 'live' environment, but I'm trying to figure out the proper method of FlexConnect redundancy.

For example, WLCa  has FLEXGROUP1 with WAP-A and WAP-B added to it and in flexconnect mode with some vlan assignments for local switching.  However, I need to configure WAP-A and WAP-B to have a secondary controller of WLCb.   So per documentation, on WLCb, FLEXGROUP1 is created as well.  Now, does WAP-A and WAP-B need to be added to it that group on WLCb even though they are currently and correctly on WLCa in FLEXGROUP1 there as well?  Does the VLAN mapping move automatically with the AP?   I haven't done ALOT with FlexConnect, but need to move in the direction.  However, I did have a remote site configured for it and even though the Group was added to the secondary controller, when the AP's were forced to the secondary controller they of course did not auto add themselves.  I wouldn't expect them to and the scenerio above sounds more logical to me, but wouldn't that mean that two controllers are managing the FlexGroup?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hope this helps.

Now, does WAP-A and WAP-B need to be added to it that group on WLCb even though they are currently and correctly on WLCa in FLEXGROUP1 there as well?

- No as long as the groups and settings are configured properly and are alike.

Does the VLAN mapping move automatically with the AP?

Yes they will since they are assigned on each AP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hope this helps.

Now, does WAP-A and WAP-B need to be added to it that group on WLCb even though they are currently and correctly on WLCa in FLEXGROUP1 there as well?

- No as long as the groups and settings are configured properly and are alike.

Does the VLAN mapping move automatically with the AP?

Yes they will since they are assigned on each AP.

-Scott

Hmm.. I didn't have this work quite right for me thing in one case.  However, now I'm wonder if the WLANs have the same index across the board, perhaps that would cause the problem.  Thanks Scott.

That is important. With FlexConnect, if your WLAN SSID interface vlans is the same vlan id at your remote site then your okay. What I have seen is that when a FlexConnect AP moves to another WLC or something glitches and the vlan mapping change, it usually changes to the WLC WLAN interface vlans.

WLAN ID order has to be consistent and is really a best practice.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card