cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Purpose of "Remote LAN" feature in 7.0.116.0?

arsquires
Level 1
Level 1

I have a remote site that has an AP running in H-REAP mode which connects over our MPLS cloud to a WLC, which has one interface on the "inside" network and one on our DMZ.  The remote AP in H-REAP mode currently only runs our Guest SSID, but now I need to established an isolated VLAN.

Two of the hosts on this isolated VLAN, which is need to support some conference room devices, need to run on wireless and communicate with two devices on the same VLAN that are hard-wired to the switch.

Getting the wireless devices to connect remotely is easy enough by setting up an SSID that uses an IP subnet which one of the WLC's interfaces actually connects to...but can I do that for a completely remote IP subnet (i.e. one that the WLC does NOT physically connect to?).  I'm not sure and I'm wondering whether that's the purpose of the "Remote LAN" feature...which is a very new feature.

Any design suggestions, as well as an explanation of this feature, will be appreciated...

Thanks!

Rob

3 Replies 3

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

HREAP local switching is the feature that would switch a WLAN (not remote lan) into a vlan that is off the AP, not off the WLC.  That would be the most common deployment for HREAP.

"Remote LAN" is actually a wired interferace for the OEAP600 (Office Extend Home-Ap), it would allow you to have a wired device connect through the OEAP600 like a corporate wireless device.

Thanks for the reply, which is very helpful...especially regarding HREAP local switching.  That sounds like just what I need to do, so I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I appreciate you clarifying what a "Remote LAN" is, so that I now known what that's all about as well.

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

For More information on OEAP-600, please watch the "Community Tech-Talk Series" Cisco Office Extend Access Point OEAP-600

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/wireless-mobility/begin-wireless/blog/2012/02/24/cisco-office-extend-access-point-oeap-600

Thanks,

Vinay Sharma

Community Manager - Wireless

Thanks & Regards
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card