cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about 1220 Coverage

r-dragon
Level 1
Level 1

I'm going to be setting up Cisco 1220's in a warehouse. I was wondering if there was a "rule of thumb" to use. We always use 100mw for power and 11Mbps. Previous warehouses, we've gone by the 50,000 sq ft rule, and we've had no problems. Is there any info out there that would help me out? We usually purchase 5.2dbi omni directional antennas with these. Ceilings are 35ft high. Floor will be both rack space and floor stacking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping for a site that you could put in ....... ceiling height, power, type of antenna, storage, etc... to give you an approximate coverage area. Thank you

2 Replies 2

bwalchez
Level 4
Level 4

I feel a initial site survey is a must, each site have different obstacles and you cannot have a generic thumb rule like wired networks.

Thanks for your response. I've read all over that a site survey is a must. Sometimes, you don't have the time to do this, because.....

a. Strict deadlines require the network to be up and operational. It seems like, as soon as we get the OK to go ahead and cable the building, we would need the network to be up within a couple of weeks.

b. This building is over 1 million sq ft. There's no quick time frame to get all the fiber and copper run to these access points.

c. All the product won't be in the building at the start up date. This causes the biggest problem. I'm not sure how people can do a site survey when all the product isn't in there and we need the RF network up and running.

Any ideas, or am i missing something??

I can't see setting up a network with repeaters, and then doing a site survey, then bring in the cablers either. I'm not even sure that would be accurate.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card