cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
larsthestar
Beginner

Question about QoS in Wireless

Hi,

I've spent some time reading about QoS in Wireless but can't get my head around a few things. QoS is a confusing subject.

In the WLANs -> Edit WLAN you can set a QoS profile, from Bronze to Platinum, as shown in the picture.

1) Does this level tag ALL traffic on the WLAN to Platinum if the client does not tag the traffic itself to other values? In other words, is Platinum the default level?

2) I've read that this setting is the maximum level of QoS permitted on the WLAN, in that case I should set it to Platinum if I have VOIP traffic and regular DATA traffic on the same WLAN? For instance Lync/Skype?

3) How does this relate to AVC profiles? I've prioritized certain apps (lync gets DSCP 46) and down-prioritized others (youtube gets DSCP 10), will the values I've defined be tagged with Platinum since I set the WLAN QoS profile to Platinum? Or will they retain their original value as I defined in AVC Profiles.

4) Which clients are not WMM compatible? It seems almost all regular computers support WMM.

Can someone confirm the following QoS is true for the wired infrastructure: WLC ports are mls qos trust cos and AP ports are mls qos trust dscp. But what about trunks between switches and the uplink to your ISP? trust dscp?

Will be thankful if someone can shed some light on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Viten Patel
Cisco Employee

1) Does this level tag ALL traffic on the WLAN to Platinum if the client does not tag the traffic itself to other values? In other words, is Platinum the default level?

NO

2) I've read that this setting is the maximum level of QoS permitted on the WLAN, in that case I should set it to Platinum if I have VOIP traffic and regular DATA traffic on the same WLAN? For instance Lync/Skype?

Yes, this is max level allowed. you should tag to platinum if you have VOIP clients. i dont think skype sends data with priority voice. not sure about lync.

3) How does this relate to AVC profiles? I've prioritized certain apps (lync gets DSCP 46) and down-prioritized others (youtube gets DSCP 10), will the values I've defined be tagged with Platinum since I set the WLAN QoS profile to Platinum? Or will they retain their original value as I defined in AVC Profiles.

wlan setting takes precedence over AVC if i recall correctly

4) Which clients are not WMM compatible? It seems almost all regular computers support WMM.

yes all modern clients are WMM compatible. you need WMM compatibility for 11n/ 11ac rates

Can someone confirm the following QoS is true for the wired infrastructure: WLC ports are mls qos trust cos and AP ports are mls qos trust dscp. But what about trunks between switches and the uplink to your ISP? trust dscp?

trunks are usually trust cos and access ports are usually trust dscp. you need to make sure end to end qos is configured properly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Viten Patel
Cisco Employee

NO

Yes, this is max level allowed. you should tag to platinum if you have VOIP clients. i dont think skype sends data with priority voice. not sure about lync.

wlan setting takes precedence over AVC if i recall correctly

yes all modern clients are WMM compatible. you need WMM compatibility for 11n/ 11ac rates

trunks are usually trust cos and access ports are usually trust dscp. you need to make sure end to end qos is configured properly.

View solution in original post

#1 I know if you disable wmM it will mark it up to the WLAN qos setting. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

The only thing I would add to this is that the AVC profile will override anything else.  AVC only takes effect on traffic cross through the WLC, so it doesn't have any bearing on traffic between the client and the WLC for instance.  Per TAC, this profile can override the WLAN QOS setting.  If you have non-WMM clients they will get the QOS marking of the SSID (Platinum).

Create
Recognize Your Peers
Content for Community-Ad