cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question About the Cisco Wireless Controller 5508

laravente
Level 1
Level 1

I have been digging around in the gui and the cli to find a way to increase bandwidth for our staff (production) wifi vs. public. There are settings in the gui for each 802.11a/b/g/n where you can set mandatory and supported data rates. There are also QoS settings in Wireless that you can set between background, video, voice, and best effort roles (bronze, gold, platinum, and silver). My question is what is the best option to use in this situation? Obviously, we want more bandwidth to be used in our production environment.

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The following document is a target https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/quality_of_service.html  . since 8.5(.x) is the last release applicable for the 5508. Normally the defaults will be good and or limitations depend on the controller model , unless you need to differentiate between vlans for different categories of traffic (as you mention).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi

Any change on the radios can benefit both (production and public) but not only one. It is advisable to keep lower speed disable.

Mandatory as 12  and disable those below that.

The QoS helps but is not something that will cause huge difference on the client experience.  What can have most impact is configure the Bandwith on the WLAN or per user, both possible.

per-wlan-qos.JPG

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@laravente wrote:

Obviously, we want more bandwidth to be used in our production environment.

"more bandwidth" will depend in many factors, such as: 

1. What is the link speed between the AP and the switch? 
  2. What is the link speed of the LAN and WAN?
  3. What is the model of the APs?
  4. What radio (or band) are the people complaining predominantly on?
  5. Are there any link errors between the AP and the switch, the backbone, the WLC? 
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card