cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove preloaded image from WLC 9800 and APs

Sam724
Level 1
Level 1

I’ve uploaded the image by running the following commands install add file bootflash: C9800-40-universalk9_wlc.17.09.05.SPA.bin and AP image preload via CLI.

The wireless controller has not been rebooted including the access points.

How do I go around on safely remove the preloaded image 17.09.05 from the WLC and APs without causing any disruptions?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From the WLC, issue the command "install remove inactive".

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sam724
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both of you for providing the command. However I would like to know if this will remove the preloaded image on access points as well ?

Check @Leo Laohoo reply below for using command in cli 

He have more experience than me.

Thanks

MHM

The command will not remove the pre-loaded image.  

@Leo Laohoo would you know which command will help to remove the preloaded image from the access points. There are more than 100 APs so don't want to do one at a time. Does it matter if the image stays on the access point as inactive ?

@Sam724 wrote:
@Leo Laohoo would you know which command will help to remove the preloaded image from the access points. 

As far as I am aware, there is no command to do it. 

However, I am not concerned about this issue because the pre-loaded firmware is stored in a different partition (or "part") of the AP.  If the AP boots up this pre-loaded firmware, it will go back to the existing firmware quickly & not something to cause any concern about.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card